109081 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multiple subnets on StoreOnce 5250

SOLVED
Go to solution
jesusangel

Multiple subnets on StoreOnce 5250

Hello,

On my network, there is a StoreOnce 5250 with just one subnet and no VLAN tagging. The backup network is running out of addresses and it is not possible to extend it as there are no free contiguous networks. Thus, I have to use another network for new servers. Besides, moving all the IPs to the new network is not an option.

Currently, the backup network is spread across several switches, and all servers reach the StoreOnce on the link, without a gateway. I would like not to use a gateway and carry on spreading the backup VLAN across the switches that connect the servers with the StoreOnce.

The StoreOnce allows just one IPv4 network when it does not use VLAN tagging. I wonder whether it would be possible to use VLAN tagging and add a second subnet. This way, it would not be necessary to use a gateway to communicate between both networks.

Before:
Just one subnet: network address 1.1.1.0/24, IP address 1.1.1.2, default gateway 1.1.1.1, no VLAN tagging
After:
First subnet: network address 1.1.1.0/24, IP address 1.1.1.2, default gateway 1.1.1.1, VLAN tag 2
Second subnet: network address 2.2.2.0/24, IP address 2.2.2.2, default gateway 2.2.2.1, VLAN tag 2

The gateways would not be used whatsoever for communicating servers and StoreOnce, they will just be used to reach other networks.

I hope I could pick your brains to help me work out this issue.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my question.

Yours faithfully,
Jes├║s ├Бngel.

3 REPLIES 3
Mohammed_I
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Multiple subnets on StoreOnce 5230

Hello Jes├║s ├Бngel,
Good day, 
1: I would like to inform you that we have only HPE StoreOnce 3620, 3640, 5200, 5250, and 5650 etc and this are all G4 Units.
2: VLAN tagging : Subnets can have VLAN tagging enabled. Enabling VLAN allows:
Network VLANs to be extended down to StoreOnce systems. Thus providing logically separate networks to be maintained.
Multiple VLAN tagged subnets can be created on a single set of network ports.

For more information refer this link : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sd00002325en_us&page=GUID-0D3CCEA8-A1A4-4780-B153-8FB5A1ABCDEA.html

Thank you!
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jesusangel

Re: Multiple subnets on StoreOnce 5250

@Mohammed_I 

Hello,

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Indeed, you were right, our StoreOnce model is 5250. I made a mistake when I wrote the question.

I was told that the StoreOnce did not allow to create multiple subnets, but as the documentation says, this is wrong. Using VLAN tagging, it is possible to create up to 128 subnets.Nevertheless, I would like to reuse the same VLAN ID for two subnets.

Although maybe it is not something recommended, we are going to move all the servers from the present network to the new one, so it is not worth creating a new VLAN. Could you please tell me if the StoreOnce allows creating two subnets with the same VLAN ID?

Yours faithfully,

Jes├║s ├Бngel.

Mohammed_I
HPE Pro

Re: Multiple subnets on StoreOnce 5250

Hello Jes├║s ├Бngel,

1: Multiple VLAN tagged subnets can be created on a single set of network ports.
2: Each subnet can be configured with a set of static routes. The static routes can allow access through a specified gateway server to a particular IP address,or range of IP addresses which might not be accessible through the default gateway.
3: One subnet per vlan is best practice
4. Keeping the design of your network in mind, I'd recommend to consult your networking team on best practice to use VLAN for more than one subnet.

Thank you!
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo