New Discussion

Re: Adding SNMP checks to Nagios

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rafael Fonseca
Occasional Advisor

Adding SNMP checks to Nagios

Hi there,

I've been searching the web for information on how to properly check a P4500 cluster status from Nagios using SNMP, but so far my results are leading me nowhere.

SNMP is enabled and work fine, but I don't know which OIDs to use for checking against. I've found some outdated scripts that referred to LEFTHAND-NETWORKS-NSM-CLUSTERING-MIB, but this doesn't seem to exist in SAN/iQ 9.

Has anyone got any experience on setting up Nagios to check the SAN?

I'm also remote logging to a Splunk instance. Any other crazy people like me out there?
7 REPLIES 7
Jitun
HPE Pro
Solution

If you has the management dvd then you should have all of the MIBS also.

If you have CMC 9.0 in the downloads folder
C:\Program Files\HP\P4000\UI\downloads

You have "SNMP_MIBS_9.0.00.3561_20101011.zip"
Which offers you MIBS for SANiQ 9
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Jitun
HPE Pro

I have attached The File.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Rafael Fonseca
Occasional Advisor

I've loaded the MIBs into /usr/share/snmp/mibs, but an snmpwalk -c public -m ALL does not return any of the LEFTHAND- variables (only standard MIBs).

I noticed that the MIBs inside /usr/share/snmp/mibs all ended in .txt, and the ones from the SAN/iQ ended in .mib. Does that make any difference?
teledata
Respected Contributor

I have written a guide for monitoring P4000 with SNMP via Nagios (Groundwork Opensource)

http://www.tdonline.com/training/lefthand/

Not sure how different it is from the flavor of Nagios that you are using, but let me know if this helps at all.
http://www.tdonline.com
Rafael Fonseca
Occasional Advisor

@teledata: I have been basing my checks on your check scripts. In fact, that's where I saw the custom LeftHand MIBs the first time. However, those MIBs do not seem to exist in my SAN array. I've put them in /usr/share/snmp/mibs but an snmpwalk still doesn't return any of the LEFTHAND- stuff.
Rafael Fonseca
Occasional Advisor

OK. I think I got this. In my tests, I wasn't using the -P 2c parameter for the check_snmp Nagios checks. I've added that based on another post in these forums by teledate, and now it returns the data properly. Also, I need to use the LEFTHAND-NETWORKS-NSM-STORAGE-MIB OIDs, and not the LEFTHAND-NETWORKS-NSM-CLUSTERING-MIB.
EricDL

Hello Rafael,

Did you do anything else except adding version 2c to the command prompt ? -P 2c gives an error here with snmpwalk 5.5, so I use -v 2c. The full command of snmpwalk i'm using is :

snmpwalk -c public -v 2c -m ALL 10.0.57.12

But no LEFTHAND values are visibile at all... did you specify any other parameters ?

Thanks!