StoreVirtual Storage
1755282 Members
3783 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding physical array (adding disks) online (VSA VM up) with HP SSA CLI utility is supoprted?

Bianko
Advisor

Expanding physical array (adding disks) online (VSA VM up) with HP SSA CLI utility is supoprted?

I have a 2 nodes StoreVirtual VSA cluster with VMWare Esxi 5.5 (vSphere). StoreVirtual RAID is Network RAID10.

I'm aware about the possibility of performing array maintenance tasks (array expansion tasks, etc) by using HPSSACLI utiliy. It's useful if you want to do these tasks without rebooting the host in the ACU GUI, so you can keep your production VMs powered on while expanding the array for example.

I'm wondering if it's also possible and supported to add disks to the physical array with VMWARE loaded with its VMs and the VSA VM powered on by using the utility, to avoid rebooting the server and keep the host offline until the parity initialization and transformation are done. I know that I could vMotion all the VMs on the other host etc but if I can go with the HP SSA CLI utility I can do it quickier and with my cluster fully functional.

Thank you,

Francesco

6 REPLIES 6
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: Expanding physical array (adding disks) online (VSA VM up) with HP SSA CLI utility is supoprted?

Hi

it is possible but you have to be sure of how you create the disks because  you must create new 

physical disks ( and not expand existing disks). that is why it is usually done with GUI.

you should try the command line on something else because if you make a mistake

you might have to reset your VSA node

read this post

https://community.hpe.com/t5/StoreVirtual-Storage/Adding-disks-to-StoreVirtual-VSA/m-p/6931578#M10489

Regards

give a KUDO if this helps

Bianko
Advisor

Re: Expanding physical array (adding disks) online (VSA VM up) with HP SSA CLI utility is supoprted?

Hi @giladzzz, wait, I've the impression we're missing the point about what the target is: I don't mean to expand the "raid" created with the VSAs with the HP SSA CLI, that is the "upper level" RAID. I'm talking about expanding the underlying array, the one that you create or modify tipically using the Intelligent provisioning by pressing F10 at server boot, with all Proliant server, regardless of you have a VSA over it.. Have I made myself clear? Once I'll have expanded the underlying RAID I will add a vDisk scsi 1:x to the VSA Virtual Machine, I'm aware about that..

So my question is: is the first expansion part (physical array expansion) supported by using the hpssacli utility keeping the host with its VSA Virtual Machine powered on?

Bianko
Advisor

Ok after reading the post you linked in your previous post I understood that you are talking about the VSA storage, while we are talking about the physical storage: when you want to add space to a VSA you have to add physical disks to the server cage before. Well, I'm speaking about that phase, not the latter one that involves adding vDisks to the VSA virtual machine. I hope it's more clear now.

Francesco B.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

As I said you can expand the physical raid using the CLI without bringing the server down

same as we do for a windows server. only in windows we can use smart storage administrator (GUI)

from the OS were in VMware you can only use CLI or bring the server down and do it through F10.

The only problem with CLI is that you must know the commands and not make mistakes.

because if by mistake you expand the logical drive and not create a new one your only way out would be 

to reset your VSA storage!!! 

I would try the command if possible on a different machine before you do it on your production server

As for adding the new disk to the VSA it is explained in the installation guide

Regards

give a KUDO if this helps

Bianko
Advisor

@giladzzzsorry but I have to contraddict you. The process of expanding the storage does not require the creation of a new logical volume on the physical array. It requires you to add a new vDisk on the VSA virtual machine as per the HPE documentation. You cannot expand the vDisk unless you put the VSA virtual machine in repair mode (you have to call HP support for this).

I already expanded the storage in this manner two years ago without problems:

- from ACU: add pDisks to the array -> expand logical volume that hosts vmware datastore and VSA vDisks
- from vSphere client: add a vDisk scsi 1:x with a size that equals the space you added in the previous step
- from CMC add the disk to the StoreVirtual VSA storage

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

You are right Because you are using datastores for the VSA

I usually use RDM disks

Anyway the whole process can be done online

even if you just reboot the VSA ( not the ESX host) this is non distruptive.

Regards