1752378 Members
6042 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Lefthand Disk Upgrade

AlexAndresen
Occasional Contributor

Lefthand Disk Upgrade

We have 2 x P4300 ( BK716A ), with 8 x 450GB SAS disks in each.

We are running out of space and I would like to replace the disks with 8 x 2 TB disks ( 507616-B21 ).

Does anybody know if this is possible . I have the SAN IQ re-install disks, and I am aware that I will have to configure from scratch, but I wonder if there are limitations as to what I can upgrade on these boxes.

Thank you for your help

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

it is possible.  UNless you get the disks from HP, I don't think it is "supported", but it will work.  If the nodes are out of support anyway, this isn't really an issue, but if they are under a support agreement, you have to buy the supported disks or you lose support.

AlexAndresen
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much, We fully intend to purchase HP approved and sourced disks
oikjn
Honored Contributor

just follow the approved list and you should be fine.  Doesn't hurt to run the plan through their support site just in case...  if you have it, you might as well use it. 

Just out of curiosity, why not go about expanding the system the normal way...  buy additional nodes.  You don't have to buy additional nodes in pairs, you can add them one at a time and miantain perfect NR10 coverage.

Each BK716A should have 8 SAS disks.  By the time you replace 16 disks with official disks you are probalby at the cost of a new node anyway.  (edited for correct number of disks per node)