108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MPIO Newbie

SOLVED
Go to solution
jasp2k
Occasional Advisor

MPIO Newbie

Have 4 p4000 arrays. 2 clusters & 2 nodes in each. I'm replacing an existing SQL Server Cluster which ueses the p4000 disks. Current setup is not using MPIO but teamed NICS. The replacement Server has 1 NIC for SAN which has 2 ports. IS MPIO reccommended? If so wha should be used Microsoft MPIO or HP? Any step-by-Step guides on setting this up?

7 REPLIES 7
oikjn
Honored Contributor

given that microsoft doesn't support teamed NICs for iSCSI I think you should go with MPIO ;-)

Read the manuals for HP they spell everything out.  Given the size of your environment, the HP DSM is the way to go.

Also, unless you have a requirement for keeping the SQL cluster 100% isolated from the rest of your SAN, you should simply make your SAN as a single cluster instead of two.  It will be more efficient and generally provide better performance. 

Spoiler

jasp2k
Occasional Advisor

So in order to do this do I need to break NIC teaming? and assign individual ips for the two ports on the NIC? Also do i need to assign storage to this new server before installing HP DSM and configuring or the order does not matter?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

well if you want to be covered by support for Microsoft and HP then yes you need to not use teaming for iSCSI NICs.  The HP DSM is a program.  Read the manual on installing it.  You will have to do a server reboot and it also talks you though how to make sure MPIO is setup correctly.  You can install the HP DSM at any time, but you cannot connect (or even see) a LUN until you assign it to the server in CMC so you migth as well assign the server to a LUN first.

LUNs are assigned based on server initiator identifying names so as long as you don't change the name it doesn't mater what you do with the NICs.  The important thing is that you have to follow the guide for how to connect the iSCSI sessions.

jasp2k
Occasional Advisor

Thanks 1 last thing. when installing MSFT Mpio first theres a vendor 8 product id as a device. should this be removed after installing HP DSM?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I see that on mine as well.  It will work just fine with it still there, so I wouldn't remove it.  Just make sure teh "Duscover Multi-Paths" tab in MPIO has "Add support for iSCSI devices" checked... it might be greyed out if it was already done...  I think a reboot is needed if this wasn't already checked.

jasp2k
Occasional Advisor

HP DSM pdf has no mention of that setting

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

its in the MPIO section... not sure if its in the guide anymore as last time I setup a server I think I went to check that box and it was already checked so maybe it does it automatically now.  just make sure that iSCSI support box is checked.