New Discussion юеВ

P4500 Initial Network Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

P4500 Initial Network Configuration

Hello,

We've just taken delivery of a number of P4500 Storage Nodes and i'm now in the proces of installing and configuring them.

I've hit a problem with the first node though.

When booting the interface provides you with options to configure both interface #1 and interface #2. I've tried doing this and allocated seperate IP's to both interfaces but when I do this neither responds to ping requests.

If I disable interface #2 then interface #1 responds quite happily.

Is anyone able to explain this? Do I need to configure the IP on both NIC's or will it still team them together to provide 2gbp/s throughput with just a single IP being allocated?

Grateful for any pointers on this one.

Cheers

Pete
5 REPLIES 5
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

Re: P4500 Initial Network Configuration

Hi Pete,

The initial configuration that is performed through the console needs to cover no more than giving the module a name, and specifying the IP settings for the first interface. Everything else can be done from the CMC GUI.

Regards, Mike.
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

However, the problem I have is that it doesn't matter where I allocate the IP for the second NIC - as soon as I do it causes both primary and secondary addresses to stop responding. I think it could be to do with our network configuration but I can see no reason why what i'm trying shouldn't work.

Just to give a bit of background.

The storage nodes are being assigned IP's from a new public range and then intention is that we will configure a seperate Virtual Switch in our VMWare environment which will allocate at least 2 network ports (our VM Servers have 8 NIC ports) to this virtual switch.

However, we still need to be able to route to our 'normal' data network to allow the storage nodes to perform DNS queries, connect to an SMTP Server and also to allow us to remotely manage the storage nodes using the CMC from our normal network.

The issue I can see is that when both NIC's on the Storage Nodes have IP addresses I can ping them from the switch to which they are connected with no problems - but I cannot ping them from our normal data network.

This initially made me think it was a problem with the routing configuration but we've configured several other types of device and these all ping with no problems at all. It seems to be a peculariaty of the storage nodes but because we can't login to the kernel i'm in a difficult position when it comes to troubleshooting this.

Any clues would be very helpful as it's really causing me a serious headache at the moment.

Thanks

Pete
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Pete,

Configure an IP address on the first NIC. Access the P4500 using the CMC and create a network bond probably using ALB. You don't need to give the second NIC an IP address as both NICs will be slaves and the bond will use the original IP details from the first NIC.

The switches that you use for the iSCSI network need to be connected to the management network as well and we configure the routing within the switches.

Regards, Mike.
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Mike,

That's exactly what I needed to know and it's sorted the problem.

I actually did the HP4000 Admin course at HP a couple of weeks ago but because they use the VSA for the lab environment none of this stuff was covered.

Rather frustrating that it's taken me the best part of a week to get to the bottom of this one - but many thanks for your reply. It's a simple fix as it turns out.

Regards

Pete
ravicoolushp
Frequent Visitor

HI team,

i have P4500 Lefthand stroage array and i want to put this in to both public network and private network.Please guide me to configure this.

Thanks,

Ravi kumar.R