7662 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StoreVirtual SNMP on VSA Gen10

testmado662
Regular Advisor

StoreVirtual SNMP on VSA Gen10

Hello,

I can't contact SNMP agent from last VSA we installed, VSA based on DL380-Gen10 and letfHand 12.8. HW SNMP alerts from ILO works well. My problem is to get Stprevirtual alerts.

SNMP is correctly configured on CMC and that P4000 frame is the only one I can't access.

Our monitoring system is What's Up Gold (WUG) and MIB Walk with iSCSI node adress, don' work. This could be a MIB update problem.

Some feedback about same problem ?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Prathibadevi
HPE Pro

Re: StoreVirtual SNMP on VSA Gen10

Kindly  stop & start the below services on putty session
stopsnmpservice then startsnmpservice

'ps -aux | grep snmpd' is run from the shell and will list if the process is running or not. The command 'getSnmpInfo' from cliq gives much more info about the snmp config.

If SAN unable to communicate with the email server, we need to set up a SMTP Relay Server with access to both networks (SAN, LAN) and this will be in charge to relay the emails from the nodes on your SAN to your mail server. The server where the CMC runs on usually has legs in both networks so you can be running IIS as an smtp relay to forward the message from the nodes (pointing to this SMTP Relay) to the actual mail server.

Configuring the email server
When you configure a management group, you configure email notification for alarms and events
by configuring the email server to send messages and then adding email recipients to receive
messages based on severity. Update these settings later, if necessary, using the Email Tasks button
in the Events window for the management group.
NOTE: Ensure that you configure email notification for each management group.
1. In the navigation window, log in to the management group.
2. In the tree, select EventsтАвEmail.
3. Click Email Tasks, and select Edit Email Settings.
4. In the Server IP/Hostname field, enter the IP address or host name of your email (SMTP) server.
5. In the Server Port field, enter the email port.
The standard port is 25.

6. In the Sender Address field, enter the email address, including the domain name, to use as
the sender for notifications.
The system automatically adds the host name of the storage system in the email From field,
which appears in many email systems. This host name helps identify where the event occurred.
7. Do one of the following:
тАв To save your changes and close the window, click Apply.
тАв To save your changes, close the window, and send a test email message, click Apply
and Test.
If you do not complete the email configuration, an alarm appears until you do so. Your changes
are saved, but the test function does not work until you complete the configuration, including at
least one email recipient.
NOTE: In some configurations designed to prevent spam, mail servers may start dropping multiple
emails if too many are being sent from a single source. During some LeftHand OS operations,
multiple alarms may be generated while the operation progresses. If you have a mail server
configured to filter spam, you may not receive some emails.
TIP: Add the sender email address to your safe senders list to ensure the system emails are
received.

Configuring email recipients
Set up email notification for events for each management group. After setting up the email server,
add email recipients to receive notification based on event severity.
NOTE: To temporarily disable email notification to a recipient, possibly because you are doing
something that would cause many event emails, you can deselect all of the severities. This generates
an alarm that persists until you set at least one severity again for the recipient.
To set up email recipients:
1. In the navigation window, log in to the management group.
2. In the tree, select EventsтАвEmail.
3. Click Email Tasks, and select Edit Email Settings.
4. Click Add Recipient.
5. In the Address field, enter the email address.
6. Select the following:
тАв Severity of the events
тАв Message type
тАв Language
7. Click OK.
8. Click Apply or Apply and Test.
Kindly log an new case using the below link . We will assist you on remote session .
https://support.hpe.com/help/en/Content/productSupport/supportCaseManager.html

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

testmado662
Regular Advisor

Hello @Prathibadevi ,

Thank you for your response. We don't need to configure email because we're using SNMP to be inform about potential incidents or alerts.

About SNMP, I was able to do test and stop SNMP services, on our SAN test frame. That works and I could see alarms up on Monitoring Station. Even so, when I did the same on VSA Storevirtual based on DL380-Gen10 nothing happens. All commands were executed correctly but I was never able to contact SNMP on those 2 nodes. As Storevirtual are appliance, we can't get access to all system and I can't know if SNMP processes are started or not.

We planned to restart those 2 nodes next week. It's a pity we will have to restart a server in order to try to recover functionalities. Those 2 nodes are in 12.8 and it miss the 4 last patchs we'll installed next week.

Regards

Prathibadevi
HPE Pro

Thankyou for the update .

Kindly log an new case using the below link . We will assist you on remote session .
https://support.hpe.com/help/en/Content/productSupport/supportCaseManager.html

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo