StoreVirtual Storage
1748227 Members
4361 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VSA for Hyper-V 2012 nic teaming

-Jasse-

VSA for Hyper-V 2012 nic teaming

What is the best practice for VSA for Hyper-V 2012 NIC teaming? Should we use Address Hash or Hyper-V Port load balancing mode? I didn't find any documentation about this, is there any?

4 REPLIES 4
5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Re: VSA for Hyper-V 2012 nic teaming

Your physical switch configuration will be the deciding factor in this case. Are you using etherchannel or LACP? Unless you have 10Gb ethernet available, you likely want to use some form of link aggregagtion. The Hyper-V port load-balancing will place all of your VSA traffic on one physical NIC. If you plan your IP scheme correctly, IP hash allows a VM to use multiple NICs.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

5y,

the two options the OP listed are both switch independent options so I think he's ruling out the LCAP option.  Given that assumption, I don't know which is better for running VSAs, but I do think this is something that should be in a document from HP given 2012 is now supported.

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Ahh, I thought ip hash was an option for both switch modes?
oikjn
Honored Contributor

According to the windows2012 Team management interface, There are two "Switch Independent" Team modes:  Hyper-V Port and Address Hash.  I blieve the Hash is pretty much ALB and Hyper-V Port is similar to Adapter Fault Tolerance.