Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753487 Members
4168 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring voice, data and network management?

SolidProfession
Occasional Contributor

Configuring voice, data and network management?

Hi,

I have an HPE Officeconnect v1905 here, and I'm struggling with getting voice connectivity. LLDP is enabled on the switch.

I've given it an IP of 10.22.0.22 and other switches, are within this network on VLAN 800 (Network management). They're in a VLAN of 800 in an OSPF network, and connect into the distribution switch which has an SVI of 10.22.0.254 (on VL800) It doesn't look like you can have SVI's on the officeconnect switch? Even the Cisco switch can't ping this despite it being it's uplink. I also can't ping it from my PC either, but I can ping...out of the network, and to other devices in the same range.

I've configured VLAN 799,800 and 803 to be tagged on ports 25/26
I've configured VLAN 799 (data) to be untagged on all ports except 25/26
I've configured VLAN 803 (voice) to be tagged on all ports

When I connect a device in, I do get network access, both for data and voice. I lose connectivity to manage it once it's connected to it's uplink however. VLAN 799 is on network 192.168.0.0/24 and VLAN 800 is on network 10.22.0.0/24. I can connect to every other switch on that network too. 

On the Cisco switch it's connected to, it can't ping the HPE switch. The Cisco switch is configured as follows:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14
description DOWNLINK:: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 799-800,803
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast trunk
end

The following command shows this:

ciscoswitch#sh mac address-table | i Gi1/0/14

799 aaaa.aaaa.aaaa DYNAMIC Gi1/0/14
799 bbbb.bbbb.bbbb DYNAMIC Gi1/0/14
803 cccc.cccc.cccc DYNAMIC Gi1/0/14

8 REPLIES 8
DIYO
HPE Pro

Hello SolidProfession,

for a better understanding of the issue, which device is not responding, in which subnet?

" I lose connectivity to manage it once it's connected to it's uplink however".

Does loosing connectivity mean that you could reach the device before connecting the uplink?

My assumption is that the HPE 1905 switch has only one IP address for management (non-routing switch), and it could only be configured in the dafult vlan.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

SolidProfession
Occasional Contributor

Hi DIYO,

Essentially, I lose connectivity to manage the device over the network. The default VLAN is VLAN 1? Also, I was directly connected onto the device via "VLAN 1" prior to the uplink

Thanks

DIYO
HPE Pro

Hello SolidProfession

yes, default VLAN is vlan 1. Let me please confirm: You are directly connected to the switch to an untagged port in VLAN 1 and you can manage the switch, then you connect the switch to the network (uplink to Cisco) you loose connectivity, is this correct?

Regards

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

SolidProfession
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

Yup. That's essentially the case

Thanks

DIYO
HPE Pro

Hi SolidProfession,

this should not happen unless you move the managing host (PC) to another switch in the network as well.

1. Please test with the host directly connected to the switch in vlan 1 with the uplink connected

2. Configure the uplink /path to the router/ to allow vlan 1, set the default gateway on the switch and test (or test from anothed device in the network in vlan 1)

3. Please check if you could configure an IP address in another vlan, for example the data vlan.

Could you please send the product number of the device?

Regards

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

SolidProfession
Occasional Contributor

The "managing host" is connected to VLAN798, on the switch itself, and it has been connected to another switch too

I also don't really want to use VLAN 1 as an uplink

I did try and configure an IP in the management VLAN too (VL800)

DIYO
HPE Pro

Hi SolidProfession,

does the switch allow you to configure an IP address in any other vlan than the default vlan, 1? If not, you might try to download the configuration file, change it with a text editor correspondingly and upload it again via the Web GUI. This might not work on all 1905 models.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

SolidProfession
Occasional Contributor

I don't believe it does allow you to do that unfortunately