1753278 Members
5749 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Modifying OID files in PCM

RobB_8
Advisor

Modifying OID files in PCM

I have noticed that in the c:\programfiles\HP\PNM\Server\config\dev-config\ there are a bunch of oid files. Most for HP but some Cisco and also for some partner companies like Fortinet and Mitel. I have had no problem with PCM detecting "some" non HP devices (because they have an OID file), such as Cisco 2950, 3750, Mitel 3300, Fortigate 50 etc.
I have also discovered that for similar models I can take the OID file for ie Cisco 3550, and if I walk the MIB for a 3750 to get the OID I can simply modify the contents of the OID file so name and OID match the 3750 and presto, I can discover the 3750 as a Interconnected Device. However there are a few types of devices that this "hack" does not work for ie changing the OID for a Fortigate 3600 to 3810 as well as some devices with crippled SNMP like Linksys WAP54G.
The question is, even if it cannot properly discover the device as a network device, is there a way to hack the OID file to force it to appear in Interconnect Devices anyway as opposed to End-Nodes. It would be much easier to monitor uptime, if I can fit all my oddball devices into appropriate groups so I do not have to scan thru 10000 end-nodes to find 1 device.
Thanks