Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751695 Members
4912 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with NC7781 NIC in DL-360

Jerry Ivey

Problem with NC7781 NIC in DL-360

I have the strangest issue with only 1 out of 10 DL-360s. Everything appears to work fine, until the system becomes unavailable on the network. Normal network packets like pings or MS-DS do not reach the system. However, I can always perform a Remote Desktop to the system. After that, the system is then reachable for all packets. After I logout from Remote Desktop, the system will again become unavailable to normal network packets.

I have reloaded all Windows 2003 software, NIC driver, and NIC firmware.

Any other ideas? I'm forced to the conclusion that I need a hardware replacement, but I'm looking for possible explanations.
3 REPLIES 3
The Real MD
Valued Contributor

Re: Problem with NC7781 NIC in DL-360

it sounds like your arp cache becomes
corrupt.

Can you do any monitoring on the switch it plugged into. If not, try using etherreal and sniff the network traffic until it stops responding. This might give you more of a clue, to whats happening with the network card.

Check the event logs

I hope this helps

Martin.
Jerry Ivey

Martin, are you suggesting the ARP cache on the switch, or on the PC system, would be bad?

Parker23

I Have know thats some system board with serial number starting with EM XXXX XX have issue with that particular Nic Check the IP console switch and BIOS update.