1751973 Members
5488 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Procurve 2810 chaining and VLAN interconnections

Tauriola

Procurve 2810 chaining and VLAN interconnections

Hi all!

I'm trying to reconfigure my network with several chained Procurve 2810 switches to run 2 VLAN:s (Default = 1 and WLAN Guest = 2) and allow my Guest WLAN network to passthru to my ADSL-router from Switch 3 to 1.

The setup:

Switch 3 (farthest in my network)
- Ports 1-22 configured for VLAN 1 (has client computers connected)
- Port 23 configured for VLAN 2 (has an HP Wireless AP connected to it)
- Port 24 configured as Uplink to switch 2.
Switch 2 (middle switch)
- Ports 1-21 configured for VLAN 1 (has client computers connected)
- Port 22 configured for VLAN 2 (has an HP Wireless AP connected to it)
- Port 23 configured as Uplink to switch 3.
- Port 24 configured as Uplink (fiber) to switch 1.
Switch 1 (central switch)
- Ports 1-45 configured for VLAN 1 (has client computers connected)
- Port 46 configured for VLAN 2 (connects directly to Broadband router)
- Port 47 configured as Uplink (fiber) to switch 2.

How do I configure the uplink ports for my switches so, that my WLAN access points are able to connect ├в directly├в to my broadband router by using VLAN 2, without interfering with my Default (1) VLAN? (router offers DHCP for WLAN AP:s)

HP instructions say, that you should set the uplink port of a switch to ├в Tagged├в if you want VLAN information to pass thru the port, but I tried doing that on Switch 3 remotely from my workstation which caused me to lose connection to Switch 3 all together. (check picture). I had to connect my laptop directly to Switch 3 in order to set the uplink port back to ├в Untagged├в .

Is there a sequence to setting the uplink ports to ├в Tagged├в ? Should I go about setting it on Switch 1 first and then the rest? What else should I take into account?
thanks in advance,
- Tommy
2 REPLIES 2
KSimpson
Frequent Advisor

Re: Procurve 2810 chaining and VLAN interconnections

Well, you need to make sure you don't cut the limb that that standing on. Remember, a port can only be untagged on one vlan. A port can be tagged on multiple vlans.

To accomplish yopur task, you should tag all the uplink ports on the vlan2 and untag the ports that have the AP connected.So, in your case, you would need to untaged port 23 and tag port 24 on the 3rd switch, untag port 22 and tag both ports 23 and 24 on the 2nd switch and finally tag 46 and 47 on the 1st switch. These tagging need to be applied on vlan 2.

KSimpson
Frequent Advisor

Re: Procurve 2810 chaining and VLAN interconnections

Also, you will need to let the router know about this vlan2. Because it's not on the default vlan, the traffic will get lost because the router doesn't know what vlan2 traffic is.