2502 Online
109066 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to connect to a J9280A ProCurve Switch 2510G-48

CoramDaes
Frequent Advisor

Trying to connect to a J9280A ProCurve Switch 2510G-48

Greets,

So I picked up a J9280A ProCurve Switch 2510G-48 and trying to see if I can make it work but I am running in to a few issues.

1. Despite Hardware reset with two pins in Reset and Clear holes I can not find the switch on the Network when connecting it to my Lan on the 192.168.1.* range and scanning 192.168.* addresses with, among other tools, nmap. Port - 1 -  remains inactive, as in it does not light up.
  2. What would be the deafult IP adress of the Switch? On HPE Support pages it says it should be assigned by DHCP after a Factory Reset, but it does not seem to connect. Port 1 connected to my Lan is dark.
  3. Is there any HP software tool I can use to search and find it? (Tried getting the PSM+ 4 tool but it won't run on W10)
  4. With no IP assigned I am also unable to connect to it via Telnet or a VT-100 simulator.

Anyone have any input on how this could be solved? The switch appears functional, passing its self test and such, but maybe something is just broken.

CLI is the lack of UI...
11 REPLIES 11
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: Trying to connect to a J9280A ProCurve Switch 2510G-48

Hello,

There is no default ip unless you set on the switch.

You have to console access the switch and assign IP address.

You can refer below installtion and Management and Configuration guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03227844

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c02563865&docLocale=en_US

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
CoramDaes
Frequent Advisor

Yes I have aprintout of that paper and it is not of any help.

For telnet with a Console cable I need an IP.

How do I access the switch if I have no address to it? Is there a cmd to connect to it vi its Mac address?

I am pretty sure I have been able to reset it to Factory defaults, but no clue as to how to connect to it.

WAIT - I was able to connect, my terminal emulation software had som conf options I did not consider.

Using EmTec ZOC and forgot to select "serial console" when connecting.

CLI is the lack of UI...
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,
Please console the switch and access via 'COM' port instead of telnet. Refer chapter 2 of installation guide and then refer chapter 3 configuring the switch.

Thanks!
Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
CoramDaes
Frequent Advisor

Did and works...

Now for the **bleep** Java issues in the web interface... (I have upgraded to latest FW)

What is the Aruba MIB that is available, what can I do with that?

CLI is the lack of UI...
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

MIB (Management information base) specifies the variables (for example, interface status and CPU usage) maintained by the SNMP agent for the SNMP manager to read and set.

I believe you are sseing in the software download links. You can ignore.

Thanks!

CoramDaes
Frequent Advisor

setting up a virtual W7 to be able to get to the old interface with Java and IE 8 or some. Old stuff still works.

CLI is the lack of UI...
CoramDaes
Frequent Advisor

So one last question. I have a very competent router and firewall so will only use this switch in its most rudimentary state, forwarding the lan connnection. Is there anything I should change in the configuration for this? Max 1GBit.

I have set it to BOOT/DHCP, typed in my Gateway address so it gets IP from my DHCP server and set the Time.

Any other recommended settings for that role ?

CLI is the lack of UI...
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Have you shared any snapshot?

Thanks!

CoramDaes
Frequent Advisor

Sorry I dont understand what you are referring to with that sentence?

CLI is the lack of UI...
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Are you using this switch only for forwarding the lan then I believe setting looks fine.

Thanks!

Rick_AU

Hi,

I have had similar issues to you since aquiring my HP ProCurve J9280A Switch 2510G-48 switch a year or so ago but a few days ago I decided not to be beaten by it so I decided to get it up and running.  My solution approach, although it only provides me CLI access to the switch, follows:

1. Connected the switch into a running network
  2. Reset the switch with 2 paperclips (front panel) by following the recommended procedure for my switch
  3. Ran Zenmap wit full port scan
  4. Identified all the SNMP devices on the network and looked for the one that was a Hewlett-Packard SNMPv3 Server and took note of the IP address
  5. telnet to the IP address of the noted device
  6. CLI access available

Now, this worked for me and provided you have no hardware issues it could work for you.  Now all I need to do is work out how to get web access to the device and where to get the latest firmware so then my RSA algorithms are more current than the ones I have.