5931 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Bootable partition cannot be on logical volume

Mousa55
Super Advisor

Bootable partition cannot be on logical volume

Hello

I m trying to install RHEL Linux 5 on my system DL320 G3 server, which already has windows server 2008 installed. I have 2 local disk 250 GB (I want to remove windows permanently). when I start in Graphical Installation and go to select "remove Linux partition on selected drives and create default layout" I facing this error message "partitioning failed: could not allocate partitions as primary partition. not enough space to create partition for /boot."

How to solve this problem ?.

and I skip this problem when I select "create custom layout", and I go to next step to configure a disk. To format partition as physical volume (LVM). and create volume group similar to HP-UX concept (/dev/vg00/lvol1) I facing this error message "bootable partition cannot be on logical volume"

How to solve this problem? And I want to make RAID 1 .

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bootable partition cannot be on logical volume

Hi,

During installation you need to select the option "Use all space" as you do not have any existing Linux system(s), and you are ok to wipe out Windows installation.

The "/boot" directory cannot be mounted on a RAID drive or logical drive.

I think your problem will be solved just by selecting "Use all space" option. Before clicking on "Next", additionally you can put a check on "Review and modify partitioning layout" just to be sure.

Hope this helps!
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi All,

there is no "Use all space" option. only i see "use free space on selcted drive" option and i put a check on "Review and modify partitioning layout"

but i facing error message after clicing on next botton.
"partitioning failed: could not allocate partitions as primary partition. not enough space to create partition for /boot."

how to solve this problem ?

How to Create more Partitions from local disk 250 Gb to create partition for /boot
and other for / and swap and other for LVM?

Thanks

Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi All,

My system has two hard disks 250 GB and i want to partitioned as follows

/dev/sda -----> (First disk)
├в ┬в/dev/sda1 -- /boot
├в ┬в/dev/sda2 -- (swap)
├в ┬в/dev/sda3 -- /
├в ┬в/dev/sda4 -- Will be used by LVM2

/dev/sdb1 -- Will be mirror RAID 1 to /dev/sda disk

How i can do it that During the installation RHEL 5 ?
Jac Mika
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Do not know why Linux cannot delete used space, but this is problem with partitions where already there (Windows 2008).
As long you OK for delete Windows, run Windows installation disk, delete ALL partitions, restart PC and start lucky with Linux again.
Let us known.
ZigZagIT
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi All,

i am run Windows installation disk and i delete ALL partitions. and also i I finished installation the rhel 5, and i partitioned the disk as follows

/dev/sda -----> (First disk)
/dev/sda1 -- /boot
/dev/sda2 -- (swap)
/dev/sda3 -- /
/dev/sda4 -- Will be used by LVM2

/dev/sdb1 -- free space (Will be mirror RAID 1 to /dev/sda disk)

and i want mirror the root disk with second disk, How i do it that after installation either using GUI or text command ?.

Thanks