4383 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

*********HPUX 11.11 with oracle 10g *************

Trng
Super Advisor

*********HPUX 11.11 with oracle 10g *************

Dear Gurus,

i have an rp4440 running HPUX 11.11 and oracle 10g..physical memory is 8GB .swapmemory utilisation is always very high (total line in swapinfo 90%), where as device swap utilisation is only 3%,but i dont find any page out happening and few % of physical memory is also free ..My queries are below while looking in to found my SGA is 3GB and shmmax is 4GB..
1-Is it necessary to set SHMMAX equal to the value of physical memory ?..
2-dbc_max_pct set as 50 and dbc_min_pct 5% ..what is the recommended value for hpux 11.11 running oracle 10G

3-does anyone having pre-requisite for installing oracle 10g on HPUX 11.11 ,Pls share to me

Rgds,trng
administrator
7 REPLIES 7
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Re: *********HPUX 11.11 with oracle 10g *************

HI,

U should follow the oracle 10g prerequisite.
Pls download oracle 10g installation guide from oracle site and follow the instruction.

Cheers//
Taifur
Trng
Super Advisor

Hi,

sometimes ,i am getting not enough space errors...should i need to add more swap in this system ?

dev 4096 129 3967 3% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
dev 4096 133 3963 3% 0 - 1 /dev/vg01/swap
reserve - 4189 -4189
memory 6303 6303 0 100%
total 14495 10754 3741 74% - 0 -

rgds,trg
administrator
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>2 dbc_max_pct set as 50 and dbc_min_pct 5%. what is the recommended value for HP-UX 11.11 running oracle 10G

You should probably reduce the max to 5 to 10%. You want the SGA to use that space.

>I am getting not enough space errors. should I need to add more swap in this system?

Yes, preferably more RAM. Or you need to reduce the SGA or stop running as many processes.
Trng
Super Advisor

Hi Denis,

More RAM maynot require--because physical RAM is not completed utilised ..still few % physical RAM is avl ,but swap utilisation getting High ...I keeping swap space 2 times of physical RAM may solve the issue

Rgds,trng
administrator
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>because physical RAM is not completed utilised

If you are out of swap, you are out of RAM.

>I keep swap space 2 times of physical RAM may solve the issue

Yes, if you can't afford the RAM.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

1. Reduce dbc_max% to no higher than 10
2. Increase shmmax to maybe 7Gb
3. Get your 11.11 upgraded to 11.23
4. Give us a list of your other parms, cause I'm guessing they could use some attention.

Oracle:
Oracle will require that you increase your maxdsiz. Yes, you must increase it so Oracle 10g can be installed...BUT!!!...you do not have to keep it at that setting. You can reduce it back down after the install is done and it will run fine.

Regards,
Rita
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Rita: Oracle will require that you increase your maxdsiz. Yes, you must increase it so Oracle 10g can be installed.

The maxdsiz settings aren't going to make a difference in system memory usage, except to stop memory hogs. So by reducing maxdsiz, your applications may not work.

I.e. applications don't usually query maxdsiz and change their actions like they do for shmmax.