Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPUX Hostname Change

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted

HPUX Hostname Change

Anyone know how to change a HPUX 11.0 server???s hostname? I figured out how to change the IP, but have been told that you need to change the Hostname in several places and not just in SAM.
I said, I AM WORKING ON IT!
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: HPUX Hostname Change

set_parms hostname.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The cleanest way is ..
# /sbin/set_parms hostname
It'll prompt for you to reboot the system after the change is done.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

At a minimum, you need to change the hostname in '/etc/hosts' and '/etc/rc.config.d/netconf' and reboot.

As noted, this can also be done by executing '/sbin/set_parms' with the new hostname passed as an argument.

If you are running DNS, you may need to make additonal changes to reflect the hostname change.

Regards!

...JRF...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You can do it through SAM. Once done, check the files - /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and /etc/hosts. Other method is /sbin/set_parms. You need to restart after changing the name. Give any name which is equal to or less that 8 characters!
learn unix ..
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Scottie,

You should use the command "set_parms hostname" (login as root) for changing hostname. The set_parms program supposed to update ALL necessary files for you. Direct update to /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and /etc/hosts will do too but still I believe using an automated process (running set_parms in your case) is the proper way.

SAM works too, but it has been un-predictable for me in the past. In one version it works but it might not in the next version.

Rgds,
Philip
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

An add to Harry's soapbox.
Be sure to check /var/adm/inetd.sec just in case there are any entries that need to be updated.
Kel

It's nice to know there are others out there that are annoyed with set_parms
Although, it's okay on very, very generic network setups.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Harry,

Thank You! I had thought it was my inexperience that led to my problems with set_parms. I had so many problems with it years ago that I stopped using it and haven't gone back.

Of course, my propensity to want to manually edit configuration files may have had something to do with it also!

Tom

< No Points Please... >
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Kelli & Tom,

It works fine when it's used to set up a server for the first time, but after that it is as useful as the output from /dev/null.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

set_params hostname
change it via sam

Manoj Srivastava