Operating System - HP-UX
1755723 Members
2816 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

NAPTR(Naming Authority Pointer) DNS record type & SRV(service/service locator) DNS record type

Farhan_A_Azam
Occasional Advisor

NAPTR(Naming Authority Pointer) DNS record type & SRV(service/service locator) DNS record type

Hi Gurus,

NAPTR(Naming Authority Pointer) DNS record type & SRV(service/service locator) DNS record type is supported by hpux 11.11. please suggest.

I've one rp2460 server & hpux 11.11 is running on that server. This server is working as a DNS server & presently we are using  the A type DNS record type only on this box where zone files are being used.

Thanks...Farhan
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: NAPTR(Naming Authority Pointer) DNS record type & SRV(service/service locator) DNS record ty

The DNS server component in HP-UX is BIND (although the process name is "named" for historical reasons).

The default version of BIND in HP-UX 11.11 might be too old to support NAPTR and SRV records, but there is a free upgrade available at software.hp.com:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=BIND

The upgrade version (BIND 9.3.2) is sure to support NAPTR and SRV records, and having an upgraded version of BIND in your DNS server system should be good for security too.

(The RFC documents that define SRV and NAPTR records got the "standard" status in 2000, the same year HP-UX 11.11 was released. So I'm uncertain if the default version of BIND in 11.11 is new enough to support those record types... but I know that BIND 9 series supports them, so 9.3.2 definitely does.)

MK