1754054 Members
3161 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Recovery shell

Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Recovery shell

The vmunix file was missing on the server and the server was booted by mistake. Why is it that at the time of initiating the recovery shell we have to specify the network configuration? Why does the vgchange command not work when network is not configured. How are they interrelated. I need to execute the vgchange command to activate the root file systema and update the pointers for the boot, root , primary swap and dump. The process has been done and the O.S is working fine. But I am wonderstuck to know that vgchange does not work when network is not configured. Anyone with a logical answer?
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Recovery shell

I have run vgchange *many* *many* times in LVM maintenance mode when there is no network, so I really suspect your problem was elsewhere...

Without knowing the *exact* sequence of what you did and what you got back and what options you chose when you booted to a recovery shell, it's very hard to say what happened...

Is the recovery still in the console log of the MP/GSP? If so, post it here and maybe we can comment further...

How did you boot to recovery shell - straight off a DVD/CD or from an Ignite server? Obviously for an Ignite server you may need to provide some networking data so that once booted you can talk to the recovery archive...

HTH

Duncan

HTH

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recovery shell

Hello Duncan,

These are the options:-

Run to Recovery shell
Mount the root disk and exit to a shell only

I booted from a CD/DVD and not from an Ignite - UX server. Once this was done and I ran
vgchange -a y /dev/vg00. I got a message that "vgchange not found". But the different thing I did the next time is I did an fsck on the recovery shell as well. These are the only 2 different things I have done and I have repaired the corrupted LABEL file and issue is resolved. But "vgchange not found"!!! and the root file system was mounted as well???

Thanks
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....