New Discussion юеВ

Scripting Query

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duffs
Regular Advisor

Scripting Query

Hi,

I am trying to find out the IP address that has got written most frequently to my access_log file. The file is a few thousand lines and therefore it is not practical to view this manually. I have tried to select the first column in the access_file and print it, sort it and simply eyeball the result but with so many different addresses there must be a more solid way of doing it?

i.e.
# cat access_log | awk '{print $1}' | sort -rn > /tmp/access.txt

And this leads on to my next question which is if I was looking for the most frequent entry in a file but not necessarily an IP address how could I get it if it wasn't delimited by colums and could be of any alphanumerical value?

Regards,
D.
5 REPLIES 5
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Re: Scripting Query

Hello.

Write a trivial awk or perl script using hash arrays.

Regards,
Goran
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>I am trying to find out the IP address that has got written most frequently

Try:
awk '{print $1}' access_log | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn > /tmp/access.txt

>if it wasn't delimited by columns and could be of any alphanumerical value?

Are you trying to find the most frequently occurring "word" in a file?
You could use tr(1) to convert your separators to a newline then use the above sort/uniq/sort pipeline. (Removing blank lines first.)
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

you could use 'webalizer' to parse the access_log for you, as it does all the sorting on your behalf, then use curl to pull back the stats page.

regards

Matt
Duffs
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Denis, yes I am trying to find the most frequently used word in a file. Are there any alternatives to 'tr' or is this the only way of doing it? What would the command look like to obtain this.

R,
D.
Duffs
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! Spot on Dennis with the tr command for the non delimited file also.

Using 'tr' I replaced the spaces with a new line and redirected the output to a new file then used the sort/uniq/sort pipeline as suggested and it produces the desired result.

Regards,
D.