5908 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

unable to ssh from Linux

vivek1717
Occasional Contributor

unable to ssh from Linux

Hi All,
I have set the ssh configuration for HP-UX.
I am able to ssh from HP-UX box to HP-UX box without password.

But when i try from a Linux box, it is prompting for password. The content of /root/.ssh/authorized_keys is same on both machines.

For configuring remotely is any additional configuration required in the file opt/ssh/etc/sshd_config

Thanks and Regards,
Vivek

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: unable to ssh from Linux

The /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on the Linux machine is relevant only if you're trying to connect *to* it. When you're connecting *from* it, it is not used at all.

If you can connect from HP-UX to HP-UX as root, the destination HP-UX obviously allows root logins.

Is there a pair of SSH key files ( ~/.ssh/id_* and ~/.ssh/id_*.pub) in the home directory of the Linux user that is initiating the connection? Are the home directory, the .ssh sub-directory and the key files owned by the user and adequately protected?

i.e.
chmod go-w ~
chmod 700 ~/.ssh
chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_*

Is the content of ~/.ssh/id_*.pub on the Linux host added to the /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on the HP-UX host?

Is there any messages in the syslog of the HP-UX host to indicate why it might have rejected the incoming SSH key authentication from the Linux host?

Obligatory Note: direct root logins are a bad practice. Any security audit will at the very least require you to write a special justification for it (or fail you outright), and if you ever need to find out who did something bad, if your only answer is "I don't know who it was: it was done by logging in directly as root", your boss is not going to be happy at all.

MK
MK