Operating System - Linux
1755880 Members
3643 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Video Problem with ProLiant DL360 G5

anthony curoso

Video Problem with ProLiant DL360 G5

I have a HP Proliant DL360 G5 running Linux Redhat ES5. When I boot the system, the display runs fine, but when the system goes to Linux GUI, the display reads "out of range" and nothing is displayed. If I use text mode the display works fine, but the customer is insisting on a GUI. Also, the GUI worked on a CRT in my lab when I configured the server, the new display is an LCD. Does anyone know of this problem and a fix? Thanking you in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the LCD can't handle the frequency ranges that the CRT could. You'll need to run the X configuration utility. I haven't used Red Hat in years so don't know what they use these days. On SLES, it's SaX2.
--
Jeff Traigle
Gokul Chandola
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
Above is very Good Solution.
Run the X configuration utility.

You can use New CRT Monitor also, definitely that will support the defind resolution.

And you can also make changing to support existing CRT monitor, through X Configuration .

Regards,
Gokul Chandola
There is always some scope for improvment.
Sandeep_Chaudhary
Trusted Contributor

Plesae read this :

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-xconfig.html

If you are installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a laptop with an LCD screen, you should select the most appropriate Generic LCD model available

To change your X configuration after you have completed the installation, use the X Configuration Tool.

Type the redhat-config-xfree86 command in a shell prompt to launch the X Configuration Tool. If you are not root, it prompts you for the root password to continue
anthony curoso

thanks all. I was able to resolve the problem in Linux-Dummy mode by hooking up a CRT to the front VGA connector and adjusting the refresh rate through the GUI there. Thanks again for helping a Linux novice through a simple problem.
Tony Curoso