Operating System - Linux
1756979 Members
1997 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtualization host OS for Oracle iAS Ebiz suite "middle tier" "application tier"

SOLVED
Go to solution
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Virtualization host OS for Oracle iAS Ebiz suite "middle tier" "application tier"

This is a question regarding the Virtualization host OS for Oracle iAS Ebusiness suite 12i (ne' ERP) "middle tier" "application tier" (not the database tier).

What host OS software are certified for use with this besides Oracle's own Linux VM OS host software? I looked at it, and it really seems to be (of course) Redhat's OS using Xen.

When I've looked on Oracle Metalink's flash driven application, finding out what is supported is a nightmare in certain cases (like the case of virtual OS support vs just OS support in the general case). Anyways, all I found was a document saying what client OSes are allowed to run under *their* host OS VM solution, but I've not found anything about other host OS VM software.

Is VMWare supported? Is Redhat's Xen supported?

I have a hard believing that VMWare isn't supported, but with Oracle lately, who knows?

I'd love to know what others are using for these middle tier/application tier vm hosting solutions, and what of those that they know are "officially" supported.

Many thanks for the information.

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
4 REPLIES 4
Alan_152
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Virtualization host OS for Oracle iAS Ebiz suite "middle tier" "application tier"

I don't know about "officially supported". VMWare Fusion was designed specifically for Oracle-hosting operating systems.

According to VMware, they have officially supported oracle apps for about 4 years. http://www.vmware.com/solutions/partners/alliances/oracle-vmware-support.html

I'm using both OVB and ESXi to host Oracle databases with no trouble.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Thank you Alan, I really appreciate the input.
I am aware of the VMware solution (though not "fusion" specifically), but was not about the other two, which I'm going to start doing some reading about.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

John
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Hey TP,

Virtually none of Oracle's Mega Stack - RDBMS, Midtier and ERP suites are "officially supported" on any Virtualised Platform aside from Oracle VM. Oracle VM is relly a "fork" - albeit with reportedly Oracle cream and sauce - of Xen on RHEL.

We however still do deploy them. Most of my clients of course choose vSphere (VMware) although KVM (RHEV) is catching up. There's a caveat however -- be prepared to be able to V2P (physical) your environment if you have issues OR prove issues exist in a Physical Server environment.

Between vSPhere and KVM however - I'd still choose KVM any day - as it is easy to V2P and P2v and does not have the reuqisite vMware Tools that one has to maintain.

Cheers.
Hakuna Matata.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Alzhy, thanks for the good and sage advice, always appreciated.