1752682 Members
5554 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Connecting 2 1920 Switch stacks

Toranagtrx
Occasional Visitor

Connecting 2 1920 Switch stacks

Hi, I have 6 HP 1950 switches that I am deploying. 

I was thinking of having 1 stack of 4 and 1 stack of 2, the stack of 2 will have edge connections and servers etc and the stack of 4 is all client PC's and Phones/Printers etc. They are side by side in our racks so close to each other.

I am confused about how best to uplink from the stack of 4 into the stack of 2.

I will be utilising the 2 SFP ports on each switch for the uplinks.

So on my 4 stack I will have 8 SFP ports to use and on the stack of 2 I will have 4 available.
I am trying to use as little cabling as possible for the uplinks while still having some redundancy. 

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting 2 1920 Switch stacks

Hi, since you want to use (that's reasonable!) SFP Interfaces on both IRFs (the four members one and the other two members one) you're thus limited by the grand total of 4 SFP Interfaces provided by the two members IRF.

If I were you I will create a 4 links LACP LAG on both, say BAGG1 and BAGG1, with 4 member links distributed on all four - so using 1 SFP per Member - IRF Members on one side - your Stack 1 - and with the peer 4 member links distributed on all other two - so using 2 SFP per Member - IRF Members on the other side - your Stack 2) and then interconnect them via that LAG...in this way you will have enough redundancy/resiliency.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner