5036 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

help with VLAN setup on HP 1810g

dan_b
Visitor

help with VLAN setup on HP 1810g

Hello:

I'm relatively new to networking and new to using VLANs and hoping I can get some help on what I would think would be a simple setup.  I have a Procurve 1810G switch (8 ports).  The switch is uplinked to a router/gateway (for my internet connection) that is not VLAN aware.  If port 1 is uplinked to the router, I would like the computers on ports 2 thru 4 to be on one VLAN, call it VLAN 200 and ports 5 thru 8 to be on another VLAN, call it VLAN 300.  I want both VLAN 200 and VLAN 300 to share the internet connection (via port 1), but not be able to access each other.  I tried to do this by setting up 3 VLANs, VLAN 100 which included all ports, had port 1 as untagged, and the rest as tagged; VLAN 100, which included port 1 (tagged), ports 2 thru 4 (untagged), and ports 5 thru 8 as excluded; and VLAN 200 which had port 1 (tagged), ports 2 thru 4 excluded, and ports 5 thru 8 as untagged.

I can't reach my router when I use this setup.  I'm wondering if I don't have the tagging correct (but with this switch, a port can have only one untagged VLAN membership).  If the router isn't VLAN aware, does it drop the tagged packets?

Can I acheive my objective with this switch?  If so, what's the proper configuration?

thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged - Hp forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor

Re: help with VLAN setup on HP 1810g

Hello,

If the router is not vlan aware, you will not be able to pass more than one vlan through one port from the switch to the router, and so you will not be able to have comunicate to the internet on the vlans that are tagged on port one.
For that to work you woul need one port on the router for each vlan, and all ports on the switch that will comunicate with the router should be untagged.

To make sure that one vlan will not communicate between each other, you will need to configure private vlan.

Regards
dan_b
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.  I think I'll be upgrading my router.  When you say I need to configure a private VLAN, I'm assuming this is something that would be configured on the router, correct?

@Luciano Carvalho wrote:
Hello,

If the router is not vlan aware, you will not be able to pass more than one vlan through one port from the switch to the router, and so you will not be able to have comunicate to the internet on the vlans that are tagged on port one.
For that to work you woul need one port on the router for each vlan, and all ports on the switch that will comunicate with the router should be untagged.

To make sure that one vlan will not communicate between each other, you will need to configure private vlan.

Regards

LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor

Hello,

Actually on Procurve switches, private vlan is called Port Security and you will have configure It on your 1810g switch.

See more information on the link below.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/S​upportManual/c02564265/c02564265.pdf

Regards

dan_b
Visitor

@Luciano Carvalho wrote:

Hello,

Actually on Procurve switches, private vlan is called Port Security and you will have configure It on your 1810g switch.

See more information on the link below.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/S​upportManual/c02564265/c02564265.pdf

Regards

Hi Luciano:

The link above is stale, do you know of another location for the document?  Also, I'm not sure the 1810g supports Port Security.  I couldn't find any reference to it in the user guide.  Thanks again for your advice.

LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor

Hello,

Forget what I said before.
Port security on procurve is the as on cisco, that is, Itshoul be used when you want to define some sort of authentication on switches ports, befor a computer/user can acces the internet.

On Procurve switches, to have one not able to acces another port, you shoul use potected ports. Protected ports can't communicate with each other, but they can access unprotected ports, where you should connect routers and other devices.
But I din't find any information saying that 1810 supports or not protected ports.

On the link below will findmore information about protected ports on page 9-37.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02563879/c02563879.pdf

Regards

On the link below