cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE Connect 1920s Fault with 1 rj45 and web interface stuck on loading

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

HPE Connect 1920s Fault with 1 rj45 and web interface stuck on loading

I have an HPE 1920s. I am trying to setup sfp modules for use with the switch. I plugged in a J4858D module and now the switch is not working.

On bootup the switch fault indicator starts if the J4858D module is plugged in or if it is not. However for some odd reason the fault locator does not turn on if I use 4 generic sfp modules.

The other issue with this is that the web interface loads and I can login but then it just has the spinning circle animation. I have left the switch in this state for 20 minutes and no change. I cannot do anything with the switch. I have tried resetting the switch and same results.

What is wrong? How do I trouble shoot this? Do I just have a useless switch now?

Also if I recall correctly I was on the 2.09 firmware. However I cannot check that due to the web interface no longer working.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: HPE Connect 1920s Fault with 1 rj45 and web interface stuck on loading

I returned and messed with the switch and found that the issue seemed to be with a blocked by default cross site scripting issue. Switching to chrome ignored the issue and I was able to use the web interface.

I upgraded the firmware from 2.04 to 2.13 and still have the same issue with the sfp.

I did buy the sfp used since that was significantly cheaper than buying it new (170 was way to much for one sfp for personal use)

Is there a way to tell if the module is actually a J4858D or if it is just broken? or if it is sending something wrong to the switch? or what is going on with the sfp?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Have you tried latest Mozilla Firefox as a web browser to access the HPE OfficeConnect 1920S Web GUI? I've no issue so far. (any PD.02.x software version).

With regards to J4858D SR SFP Transceiver...the question is: is the one you purchased ORIGINAL HPE/Aruba? is quite simple to understand...price apart (used price really doesn't say nothing about the fact you purchased an ORIGINAL - broken or not - one or not) you can simply post here a photo and it should be easy to understand if it is good or not. AFAIK the 1920S works only with Aruba ORIGINAL Transceivers. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I do have the latest firefox but it is working in chrome so I will solve that issue another day.

As for the transceiver I figure it is but either way is there not a way to enable using generic transceivers in the switch? (like mentioned here for a different set of switches? https://www.flexoptix.net/en/blog/2016/08/arubaos-enables-use-non-hpe-transceivers-dacs-software-version-16-02/)

fs module

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@eatthoselemons wrote: As for the transceiver I figure it is but either way is there not a way to enable using generic transceivers in the switch? (like mentioned here for a different set of switches? https://www.flexoptix.net/en/blog/2016/08/arubaos-enables-use-non-hpe-transceivers-dacs-software-version-16-02/)

No, there isn't a way to do that on your particular switch (the allow-unsupported-transceiver hidden command you're referring on works only on some specific ArubaOS-Switch based Switch series; your one instead belongs to the HPE OfficeConnect 1920S Switch series and thus it's not ArubaOS-Switch based).

To solve you must use a supported SFP Transceiver (so an original HPE Aruba one as per HPE OfficeConnect 1920S QuickSpecs).