New Discussion юеВ

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Boot Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
azkerm
Advisor

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Boot Issue

Hi There,

We had a power failure two days back and the switch now seems to be not working. When I checked through console, below is what I got.

Starting......
Press Ctrl+D to access BASIC BOOT MENU

********************************************************************************

*                                                                              *

*              HP 1950-48G-2SFP+-2XGT Switch BOOTROM, Version 124              *

*                                                                              *

********************************************************************************

Copyright (c) 2010-2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Creation Date       : Apr 13 2015, 14:45:33
CPU Clock Speed     : 400MHz
Memory Size         : 1024MB
Flash Size          : 512MB
CPLD Version        : 001
PCB Version         : Ver.D
Mac Address         : 2c233ad7aa60

Press Ctrl+B to access EXTENDED BOOT MENU...0
Loading the main image files...
Loading file flash:/1950-cmw710-system-r3109p05.bin.............................

...............................Done.
Image file flash:/1950-cmw710-system-r3109p05.bin is invalid!
Loading the backup image files...
The image does not exist!
Loading images fails.
Loading the main boot and system image files...
Loading file flash:/1950-cmw710-system-r3109p05.bin.............................

................................Done.
Image file flash:/1950-cmw710-system-r3109p05.bin is invalid!
Loading the backup boot and system image files...
The image does not exist!
Loading images fails.
Loading the main boot image...
Loading file flash:/1950-cmw710-boot-r3109p05.bin...........Done.
Image file flash:/1950-cmw710-boot-r3109p05.bin is self-decompressing...........

................................................................................

................................................................................

..................................Done.
System is starting...
<boot>

Prior to posing this thread, I did a bit of research and tried doing a software upgrade using this link here and returned with no success. I am still getting the same error as above. Further, when I tried doing using TFTP and FTP, this is what I'm ending up with.

EXTENDED BOOT MENU

1. Download image to flash
2. Select image to boot
3. Display all files in flash
4. Delete file from flash
5. Restore to factory default configuration
6. Enter BootRom upgrade menu
7. Skip current system configuration
8. Set switch startup mode
0. Reboot
Ctrl+Z: Access EXTENDED ASSISTANT MENU
Ctrl+F: Format file system
Ctrl+P: Change authentication for console login
Ctrl+R: Download image to SDRAM and run
Ctrl+C: Display Copyright

Enter your choice(0-8): 6

1. Update full BootRom
2. Update extended BootRom
3. Update basic BootRom
0. Return to boot menu

Enter your choice(0-3): 1

1. Set TFTP protocol parameters
2. Set FTP protocol parameters
3. Set XMODEM protocol parameters
0. Return to boot menu

Enter your choice(0-3): 1

Load File Name     :1950-CMW710-R3115P08.ipe
                   :1950-CMW710-R3116.ipe
Server IP Address  :10.2.7.39
Local IP Address   :10.2.3.20
Subnet Mask        :255.255.240.0
Gateway IP Address :0.0.0.0

Loading.........................................................................

...................................Done.
No Basic BootRom File
No extended BootRom File

1. Update full BootRom
2. Update extended BootRom
3. Update basic BootRom
0. Return to boot menu

Enter your choice(0-3): 

A bit of a help will be highly appriceated.

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Boot Issue

Not sure, are you trying to download the 1950-CMW710-R3116.ipe or the 1950-CMW710-R3115P08.ipe? on the first one for sure there are BootROM (version 146 versus your 124), boot and system images.

Have you set the file attribute to M (Main)?

After that step, the Switch should start to self-decompressing the boot bin and system bin files (automatically extracted from the downloaded ipe file)...eventually it will be necessary to update the BootROM first too (if necessary, as in your case) using the extracted boot bin file [*].

Was you unit affected by the NAND Flash issue (so you used the interim version 500 BootROM btm file successfully as an intermediate step?)

[*] Documentation reports that as possible other than using a specific btm file (that's because BootROM file should be already contained into the boot bin file extracted from the ipe file).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
azkerm
Advisor

I have tried both (R3116.ipe and R3115P08.ipe) the files. and both of them are basically downloaded using the official HP web.

What file attribute, where do I set it?

All I have tried is downloading the package and flashing it using the TFTP which didn't really succeed. However, I believe it is effected by the NANd flash issue as it was working well earlier for few months and all of a sudden all went kaboom.

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

So you were supplied with the proper interim BootROM btm (btw they called) file from HPE?

See Release Notes about R3116 (which requires a BootROM version 147 or higher <-- it should be included, as written above) at Page 48 (sheet 52 of 100) under "Upgrading Comware images from the Boot menu", Step 5.

I'm not an HPE Employee
azkerm
Advisor

Thank you so much for the above. 

The advisory link was quite confusing and I tried as to what you have referenced on the switch manual and it worked beautifully.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@azkerm: glad you solved!

Edit: this thread, among other with a similar content, is interesting because it shows how poorly it is advertised that BootROM image file is, generally, included into Boot image file (bin)...so, in case of an ipe archive you should always end up with boot and system image files (bin) and boot file should include the proper BootROM image.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Chrismb

Can anyone please point me where I can download BootWare file S5130EI-BTM-500.btw that is referenced in HP advisory Document ID: c05366090 to resolve the startup issue?

I don't have our switch serial numbers to hand (would usually get it from the web interface if the switch was working!) and HPE support won't start a chat session without it.