4595 Online
108779 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A StartDocPrinter call was not issued

SOLVED
Go to solution
E Cohen_2

A StartDocPrinter call was not issued

I am trying to print from a windows 2003 server to a Laserjet 1300 that I just purchased. After I install the latest driver from the HP website, I try to print a test page. The test page gets stuck in the print queue with "error printing". I check the SYSTEM log and there is a "3003. A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" error. I am using the PCL 5e driver for the 1300 printer.

I've looked through this forum, but I can't find anything that seems relevant since although the printer is being shared, I am a local administrative user with full rights and I am the one who just installed the driver, and I am printing a test page from that printer's dialog.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
5 REPLIES 5
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: A StartDocPrinter call was not issued

Hi:

Is the printer attached to the server via LPT? If yes, is the cable IEEE1284-compliant? Is the BIOS set for ECP on the LPT port?

Tell us what the server hardware is.

Try booting from a DOS or WIN9x floppy and print a text file from the A:> prompt.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Not applicable

This sounds like a service that may not have started properly.

Try Administrative Tools, Services, and look through for Printer related Services.

Since it is dealing with the printer you may want to set them to start on login.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

A similar thread was fixed by the Author himself:
[Expired Broken link removed on <4/19/2017> by Mod]

Found this too:
http://www.adminlife.com/247reference/msgs/30/152643.aspx

Hope this help

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
E Cohen_2

The printer is connected USB right now, but I've tried a quality parallel port cable and got the same exact behavior after uninstalling and reinstalling.

The machine is an HP Server running Windows Server 2003. Plenty of disk space, plenty of RAM.

I've tried disabling advanced services, and that doesn't have an affect. Other than print spooler, I don't know what other "printer related" services to look at.
I don't think permissions are the issue since I am trying to print a test page as the administrator from the local machine.
E Cohen_2

I think the problem is solved. I went into the device manager and deleted all the ports that had been created for the printer...then reinstalled the printer, and now it works.

Thanks everyone for the help.

EC