1757721 Members
2359 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Having trouble with storage reclamation

hux
Occasional Advisor

Having trouble with storage reclamation

Nimble CS 700 (OS v5.0.10) connected via iSCSI to Dell R720 servers running ESXi 6.7 U3. (Yes, I know it's time for a hardware upgrade!)

I've noticed that there's a consistently large difference between free space on volumes as reported by VMware vs. free space as reported by the Nimble. That is, volumes will show as almost full on the former even though the latter shows maybe 20% usage.

How can I best relaim this "lost" free space? Is there a way to have it automatically reclaim it, or must it be a manual process?

To contrast, I have an older NetApp connected to the same servers via NFS. The NetApp VAAI module is installed on the servers and, as a result, the free space shown in vCenter always matches the free space shown on the SAN. Is there an iSCSI-based equivalent of this?

1 REPLY 1
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Having trouble with storage reclamation

I think you need to enable VAAI between vCenter and Nimble. In the Nimble doc VMware Integration Guide, see the section on "VAAI Integration".

If that doesn't help, why wait? Contact Nimble Support!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo