108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP VC NORMAL CONFIGURATION

SOLVED
Go to solution
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

HP VC NORMAL CONFIGURATION

HI. Im configuring two virtual connects in my enclosure c7000. In the shared uplink configuration i comprobed the following state:

linked/active
linked/standby

is this normal?, what's the meaning├В┬┐? only function one vc├В┬┐? the other is passive├В┬┐? thanks! ;)
11 REPLIES 11
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

make sure that your uplink sets only contain ports from a single VC module. Create separate uplink sets for each VC module, using only the ports from that module.

i.e. Uplinkset A using ports from Module in Bay 1, and Uplinkset B using ports from Module in Bay 2.

Dave.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

very thanks! ;).

What are the differences between linked/active/standby and linked/active/active?├В┬┐

I suppousse that in active/standby only one vc function, and the other is for HA.

I suppousse that in active/active the two functions and they make HA too?├В┬┐?├В┬┐.....

Very thankss!!!
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Please help, whats the meaning of linked/active and linked/standby├В┬┐?.

is for ha├В┬┐? only function one vc?

and linked/active linked/active├В┬┐?

are actives two? HA too├В┬┐?

please help me.
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

When creating an uplink of agregated connections you'll only one as active unless you configure the switch side as a LACP trunk (I think Trunk is the correct term, I'm not a network person). Once that is complete your VC module will automatically see all connections in the group as active.

The stand-by connection you have now will only become active is the current active connection is dropped - unplug the cable as a test & observe.

As the previous poster says, when creating uplinks only choose connections from one module, don't span modules.

Julian.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

OK, the choose is clear. Select shared uplink for each VC.

But when i try to configure the server, choose "multiple connections" in each nic, the system only let me choose one shared uplink.

How can i get HA if the nic only have one uplink vc├В┬┐?..

Thank you.
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

I would configure 2 uplinks; one using connections from bay 1 & the second using connections from bay 2.

Present the two uplinkgs to the server on NIC1 & 2 and team.

Ideally you would also have your uplinks configured to two separate switches. This way you can loose a switch or a vc module without service interruption (note firmware updates etc).

If you havent seen it already the HP virtual connect cookbook has some useful info.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01471917/c01471917.pdf

Julian.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Ok, but in the case that my VC shutdown, i haven't got HA. ill function only with the nics in the other VC. While with one trunk to the two VC, i've got HA.

Is this the normal Conf├В┬┐?.

thanks...! ;)
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Creating an uplink spanning multiple vc's does work, but it's not good practise. I have done this in the past & I seem to remember big problems during firmware upgrades of VC modules.

Have a read through the cookbook as that gives you many supported scenarios providing HA.

Regards,
Julian.
jjgonzalez_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Julian. ;)