BladeSystem Management Software

c7000: Reseating interconnect switches question

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

c7000: Reseating interconnect switches question

Terri had a question regarding interconnect modules:

Hello all,

I was told the following with a case involving the Brocade interconnect SAN switches. Is this correct? What's the issue if you don't wait for Onboard Administrator to detect removal? When reseating the Brocade switch, need to leave it out of the enclosure for about 3 minutes and/or long enough for the OA to detect the switch is gone. This is very important.

Is this true for any interconnect switch you are reseating?

Monty answered Terri:

This issue doesn’t sound familiar to me.

The Onboard Administrator has a bay presence signal on all bays including interconnect, device, power supply, fan, and OA.  This signal generates an interrupt to the active OA on any change of state.  This change of state is then handled in OA firmware and there is debounce code to ensure that this is not a glitch.  Our OA testing involves removing and inserting all bays as quick as physically possible – there is no problem with the OA handling those rapid events.

However, I have observed some interconnect modules that require several seconds after removal before they can be reinserted – and I believe this is due to power supply filtering on those modules and the time it takes the removed module to bleed off the voltage.  This behavior does not seem to occur when power cycling an installed interconnect module.

The enclosure Insight Display Health Summary is driven by the OA and will display the status whether a module has been removed or inserted and the module health.

In addition the standard c-Class interconnect LEDs for module health and module Unit ID are valuable in troubleshooting modules that do not appear to complete Power-On Self-Test (POST).

Any additional comments for Terri? What are your experiences with reseating interconnect modules?