BladeSystem - General
1756625 Members
2669 Online
108849 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL460 - adding extra network ports

sbu2000

A very simple questions (I am fairly new to blades) I need to add 4 network ports to HP BL460c blade (it comes with 2 on-board ones) and decided to add NC325m expansion card into one of the mezannine slots. After this my blade will have a total of 6 network ports. I currently use 2 Cisco Catalyst 3020 currently to interconnect the blades. Question: If I want to connect network 6 ports on a BL460 blade, how many Cicsco Catalyst 3020 switches will I need in my enclosure? My HP reseller tells me that I will need 6 (I switch per port). Is this correct? Can I go with fewer switches? Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
mkendall
Frequent Advisor

Hello, I believe your reseller is correct. Each dual port (so you have three of those) can be set up as redundant I/O. Each dual port is accomodated by a pair of switches in adjacent bays. So three pairs, three pairs of switches. Regards, Mike
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

Onboard NIC1 goes to Inter 1, onboard NIC2 goes to Inter 2, Mezz-connected NIC 3 goes to Inter 5, Mezz-connected NIC 4 goes to Inter 6, Mezz-connected NIC 5 goes to Inter 7 and Mezz-connected NIC 6 goes to Inter 8. So If you need even one server to be able to output on it's sixth NIC then you'll need 6 Inters, of course these don't have to be all the same type, you can mix Inters vertically but I wouldn't do it horizontally. Hope this helps. Phil.