Converged Data Center Infrastructure
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don’t be misled... HPE and Nutanix are not partners.

PaulMiller

bigstock-Taking-decisions-for-the-futur-168083693.jpgIt came as no surprise when I read the news: Nutanix wants to run its software on HPE ProLiant. It was only a matter of time. Customers love HPE ProLiant—the DL380 is the best-selling server in the industry[1]. Now, Nutanix wants a piece of the pie… but then again, what software vendor wouldn’t?

Here’s what we believe: if you’re considering running hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) on an HPE server, you should consider the HPE HCI offerings. Over the last 18 months, HPE has invested nearly a billion dollars to bring the best solution to the market. HPE is combining industry-leading data services with the industry’s best-selling compute platform, and we are continuing to invest in the future.

What’s important is that as a customer, you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about purchasing an HCI solution. In that spirit, I’d like to give you a few things to think about when making the important decision regarding which solution to standardize on:

1. HPE guarantees outcomes. HPE gives you 90% capacity savings and ensures that you can restore a 1TB VM in under a minute. Three clicks is all that is needed to back up, restore, move, or clone a VM (all from a single console). You can also create or update backup policies for 100s of VMs across dozens of sites. Add or replace systems without any downtime, disruption, reconfiguration, or IP address re-entry. All guaranteed.

Why this matters: HPE stands behind their technology in a big way. This steadfast guarantee is backed by real customer results—over half of HPE’s customers see greater than 50% application performance improvements. HPE can’t guarantee anything when it’s not HPE software or a software partner we collaborate with to jointly certify the solution. It’s critical for any software storage platform to be certified by the hardware vendor it’s running on. Not doing so is proven to put data at risk.

2. HPE values support, with unambiguous accountability. Something you won’t get from Nutanix software on 3rd party infrastructure. They’ve set up a 3-vendor decision tree—hardware, software, and hypervisor—with a 3rd party agency to deliver support SLAs. This model requires formal agreements from all parties. HPE has not entered to this agreement and we do not support their software on our hardware.

Why this matters: Landing Nutanix software on HPE hardware without any type of OEM or support agreement is going to cause real issues in the real world—in the absence of a real support agreement. Put yourself in this situation: you have an outage. It might be a drive, it might be an entire node, or worse. Whatever the circumstance—you need help… fast. HPE support has ONE number to call. No decision trees or outsourced triaging to navigate through. HPE is going to step up and do the right thing.  

3. HPE has a long-term vision. HPE’s strategy is clear: make Hybrid IT simple. Acquiring SimpliVity allowed HPE to accelerate their hyperconverged portfolio. But Hybrid IT is about more than hyperconverged. HPE engineers industry-leading technologies that span traditional, hyperconverged, composable, and cloud—and we support physical, virtual, or containerized workloads.

Why this matters: HPE believes in a composable data center—you should be able to spin up/down resources and allocate performance where and when they are needed. While you may be able to run your entire data center on hyperconverged, technologies like Synergy, OneView, Azure Stack, and many others are required to build a holistic data center strategy that will take you into the future. HPE has a complete portfolio that allows the company to meet you wherever you are in your software-defined journey.

HPE is the world’s largest authorized support partner for VMware and Microsoft. The integration of SimpliVity is only the beginning. We understand that making Hybrid IT simple isn’t easy. It takes engineering skill and testing to tune updates, guarantee performance, and ensure the system will run as promised on day one and throughout its lifecycle—and HPE is committed to it.

To learn more about how HPE Hyperconverged solutions can drive simplicity, agility and speed in your datacenter, download the e-book: How Hyperconvergence Can Help ITAnd to hear more about HPE Hyper Converged, follow @HPEConverged_DI on twitter and #HPEdare2compare.

Paul

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

[1] HPE ProLiant DL380 was the #1 server by unit volume per the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker, March 2017

Paul Miller
VP of Marketing, HPE

twitter.gif @HPE_ConvergedDI
linkedin.gif Paul Miller

Paul Miller
VP of Marketing, HPE

twitter.gif@HPE_ConvergedDI
linkedin.gifPaul Miller

About the Author

PaulMiller

Paul Miller is VP of Marketing for the HPE Software-Defined and Cloud Group business unit. The SDCG organization is responsible for marketing for HPE Synergy, HPE OneView, and Hyper Converged Solutions portfolio.

Comments
Josh First

People run lots of software on HPE servers from companies that dont have OEM or direct support agreements. Are you saying that if the software isnt from HP then you dont recomend it be run? 
I also noticed that you have a converged system with Arista and VMware.  How many vendors is that? 

I like HP servers but you're talking in circles above. 

Randolph Dryer

So you are saying you don't support a customer running a virtual machine on your hardware? Because thats all that Nutanix is.

Also; your "hyper-converged" solution runs on VMware ESX.

Since when can I call you for issues with ESX?

Because your support staff doesn't support ESX, VMware does that.

Also what does a hardware failure have to do with the support of software running on top? 

When my Windows 10 VM has an issue, can I call you? No. I would call either VMware or Microsoft.

And with Nutanix that would be the same. If it's a hardware issue, I call HPE. For anything software related I call the softwarw vendor.

Just like it has always been.

Nothing has changed with Nutanix testing a few of your servers.

If you say it will cause problems, you are saying your servers are crap and incompatible with industry standard software.

WhitneyGarcia

Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the blog!

I agree with you that a lot of our customers run lots of software on HPE ProLiant servers…and in the majority of these cases, HPE works extremely closely with software vendor to ensure that the customers has a seamless experience. Our current concern is the claim Nutanix is making of being able to run their software on HPE Servers without any in-depth firmware testing all long term planning. They deployed a similar tactic with Cisco late last year. The concern I have is Nutanix is not working closely with HPE…and who will the customer turn to in the event a future ProLiant server firmware release does not work with the Nutanix software. Is Nutanix really committed to maintain all their software release for all the different types of servers that are running their software…I am not sure they are.

Paul

WhitneyGarcia

Hi Randolph, 

HPE has an OEM agreements with both VMW and Microsoft. With VMW in particular, we have sold vSphere to thousands of customers over the past 10 years. Under this model, we take the first call on any and all vSphere issues. We have literally fielded, addressed and resolved thousands of support calls on hypervisor issues.

It’s all about the architectural decisions that the software vendor makes on your behalf. Consider with NTNX, using a replication factor of 2, which is almost always what gets recommended during the product evaluation phase. While everything is working correctly, you’ll have no problems at all. The moment a drive fails, the NTNX system goes into a panicked rebuild state where application performance suffers, unless of course you’re not running any material load on the system. The system now has to choose between servicing customer requests and getting to a known good state. It also knows that if a second hard-drive fails while in this degraded state, the potential for data loss exists. The system has to choose between maintaining performance and being exposed to data loss. In that case the choice is easy, it will need to get to a non-degraded state.  Consider this -- Is this a hardware issue (failed hard drive) or is it a software issue (flawed architecture)? Who do you call?  We want to ensure our customers have the best possible experience, both when things are running great and when things are in a degraded state. We want you to have the best, without any compromises – that includes performance AND support.

Thanks for your comments!

Paul

Rick Karbowski

HPE is running the HPE Simplivity solution on its servers.

• Runs with vSphere 6
  • One support number to call via (HPE Simplivity)
  • Dedupe and compression BEFORE writing to the hardware once and forever
  • Includes backup and disaster recovery at no additional charge or additional vendor (can others ?)
  • Cloud agility with enterprise-grade performance—that’s what happens when power, simplicity, and efficiency converge. HPE SimpliVity combines all your IT infrastructure and advanced data services in a single, integrated hyper-converged solution. Guarantee data efficiency, gain 80% more time to spend on innovation and remove IT service delivery roadblocks with an offering that costs a fraction of the cost of traditional and public cloud solutions.

Events
Jan 30-31, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Join us online to talk directly with our HPE experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Days. P...
Read more
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more