5808 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle - 'HP-UX error 27: file too large'

Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

this looks like someone mounted your filesystems correctly upon installation and created everything allright, but did put the wrong entries into /etc/fstab.

I assume you rebooted the box and after the remount of the filesystems with the entries from fstab nothing works anymore.

Unmount filesystems, edit vfstb and add the "largefiles" option and remount.

Hope this helps
Volker
Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Hey all,

Here is where we are sitting. All filesystems were created correctly as largefile filesystems and mounted properly.

I am now concentrating on the file /var/adm/cron/.proto. This file is used when you run an at/cron job, and I believe it is also used when OmniBack runs a pre/post exec job. This passes some paramaters to the job, one of which is the ulimit value - $l (dollar el). With the .proto file unchanged, we created a 1 line script as oracle to pre-allocate a file greater than 2 Gb:

prealloc /u02/oradata/timtest 2300000000

When run from the command line, this works. WHen run via the 'at' command, this fails with the output sent to email:

prealloc: File too large

When we change the /var/adm/cron/.proto file to set the value of ulimit to unlimited:

/var/adm/cron # cat .proto
# @(#)B.11.11_LR
cd $d
ulimit unlimited
umask $m
$<

this script works. It looks as though we may be experiencing the same bug that Steve Steel mentions is this ITRC posting:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x37d791ccb36bd611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

If anyone has any additional info or ideas surrounding the file /var/adm/cron/.proto, I would love to hear them.

Tim

Hey! Who turned out the lights!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi (again) Tim,

IF the ulimit of the user submitting the at job is large enough, you shouldn't have to set ulimit in the .proto file. Which user "owns" the script pid?
Also is the FS in which the submitting user is sitting set for largefiles? Where is the script owner sitting when the the script submits the at job - may want to cd to a *known* largefiles FS?
You may want to consider submitting the job to a *specific* queue (d-y) which means you'll have to specify a .proto.[d-y] file & explicitly specify the absolute time [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm [ . ss ] to execute the job.
But if setting unlimited ulimit in the .proto file works.....why bother? You just need to be aware the ANY at job can create ANY filesize.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Jeff,

That was the interesting thing. Before we changed the .proto file, I inserted some calls to the /usr/bin/ulimit -a command to see what the exact ulimit was of the user that was attempting to run the jobs. In every single case, the system reported that the oracle user had an unlimited ulimit. However, whenever we ran jobs through at/cron/OmniBack, they failed with the 'file too large' error, which shows that the value of ulimit, while reported to be unlimited, was not unlimited. This seems to be a bug in the way the value of ulimit is reported. Once we changed the .proto file to specifically force the ulimit to be unlimited, we no longer experienced the error.

We will be leaving the .proto file the way it is, with the value of ulimit set to unlimited.

Tim
Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Hey all,

Just some final follow up.

As the user oracle, from the command line, I issue the command ulimit and get the response 'unlimited':

oracle on dbphprp1
/home/oracle> ulimit
unlimited

oracle on dbphprp1
/home/oracle>

As a final test of my rantings here, I edited the /var/adm/cron/.proto file to its original state, with the line ulimit $l (dollar el). I then submitted an 'at' job that only called the date command and checked its file in /var/spool/cron/atjobs. With the ulimit in the .proto file set to $l, the ulimit in my at job became this:

cd /home/oracle
ulimit 4194303
umask 22
/usr/bin/date

(these are the last 4 lines of my at job as found in /var/spool/cron/atjobs)

As you can see, the ulimit is now set to 4194303 512 byte blocks, which is 2 Gb. Remember now that previous to this, from the command line, the ulimit command stated that my ulimit was unlimited. I found this very interesting, and so did the next logical step. I edited the /var/adm/cron/.proto file and set the ulimit line to unlimited:

/var/adm/cron # cat .proto
# @(#)B.11.11_LR
cd $d
ulimit unlimited
umask $m
$<

and once again submitted an 'at' job. As expected, now the ulimit in the at job found in /var/spool/cron/atjobs listed an unlimited ulimit:

cd /home/oracle
ulimit unlimited
umask 22
/usr/bin/date

(these are the last 4 lines in the newly created at job).

So, even though the output of the ulimit command, when run from the command line, stated that my ulimit was unlimited, it was actually NOT unlimited when it came down to cron/at jobs (OmniBack pre/post execs included in this), but was set at the 2 Gb file size limit. ONLY by changing the ulimit value in the /var/adm/cron/.proto file was I able to submit a job that was not constrained (cronstrained? heh heh heh) by the 2 Gb filesize limit.

In my personal, professional opinion, this goes beyond the kooky stage, well into the arena of wackiness. Any info/insights are welcome!

Tim
Kawah Cheung
Advisor

Hi,

Just browsing oracle metalink, and apparently, cron has its own environment settings, so what you set for the user has no relevance on cron jobs (apparently). See attached.

Rgds,
Kawah
If in doubt, ask!
Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Kawah,

Ahhh! Validation!

Thanks! :)

Tim
Wayne Schmidt
Occasional Contributor

Tim,

We are seeing the same issue on HPUX 11.00 and Oracle 8.1.7.4. When files are going beyond 1gb (I stress one gig), the database is reporting:

*** SESSION ID:(2.1) 2003-12-01 00:57:14.611
KCF: write/open error block=0x10469 online=1
file=16 /ora/laxap01u.plaxsbo.u1000/oradata/plaxsbo/users_indexes_01.dbf
error=27072 txt: 'HP-UX Error: 27: File too large
Additional information: 66665'
Automatic datafile offline due to write error on

This is the second time this error has occured. 1st time on datafile, 2nd on index file.

.proto has ulimit set to unlimited. Oracle environment ulimit set to unlimited. Fstab is mounting the filesystem with largefiles option. mkfs reports largefiles. fstyp f_flag=16.