108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding used disk to 12H AutoRAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Ball
Frequent Advisor

Adding used disk to 12H AutoRAID

I inherited some disk drives from another 12H. When I insert a drive into the 12H, it recognizes that it came from another array. In the past, because I have Auto-include/Auto-rebuild enabled, brand news disk drives would automatically be added and the data balanced/reorganized across all the drives. How can I cause this to happen with a "pre-owned" disk drive?

Thanks...Ray
4 REPLIES 4
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

I'm also interested in how to deal with the used drives.

Dying to see how to address this.
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Found the following thread... Read the info from S.K Chan
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/parseCurl.do?CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0x24199607df6ed711abdc0090277a778c%2C00.html&admit=716493758+1092076594010+28353475

I looks like you need to use the control panel on the array to added the drive.

Here's a snippet from Chan...
"Hang on .. if you plug in a previously used disk module onto another 12H you HAVE to manually (from the 12H control panel) perform an "Include Disk" operation on that disk because the "Auto Include" feature would NOT work unless it's a brand new disk. To do this, fron the 12H front panel ..

Press Menu, then "+" until you see "Disk Changes" and then press Enter. Somewhere in there there should be an option that says "Include Disk", choose that one to perform the include operation of this disk into the array. "
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor
Solution

Looking at the man page for arraycfg it looks like arraycfg -D B2 -a would include the disk from the command line:

Ex: arraycfg -D B2 -a 000000163E84

B corresponds the column in the rack and 2 corresponds to the shelf.

Using a -d would down the drive

Ray Ball
Frequent Advisor

Jack:

Thanks for the pointers. I used SAM to do the Include Disk. In an instant it moved the bulk of the space available on the new/used disk from the Excluded/Failed category to the Unallocated category. A little went to the Data Redundancy category. What really surprised me was that no balance/rebuild operation was commenced (which is what happened when the disk I replaced failed).

Anyway, it was a painless operation. Go for it.

Ray