Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting my CD-RW to function

Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

Getting my CD-RW to function

I finally got back the boot manager, but I still cannot get my CDRW to work properly. I have heard something about SCSI Emulation and I have no clue how to do that kind of stuff.

I am about to give up on getting my CDRW to work properly.

Thanks,

Alex
3 REPLIES
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor
Alex_14
Occasional Advisor

Re: Getting my CD-RW to function

I should assume nothing, I was reffering to getting it to work properly in Linux. Like I said before, is there something about Scsi emulation that I should do. If so, how.

-Alex
Bernd Reize
Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting my CD-RW to function

Hi Alex,
if your CDRW is IDE, you will need SCSI emulation to get it work:
The kernel contains a module called ide-scsi, first check if it is already built or if you have to compile it first.
Also you need a kernel append parameter at boot time: "hdX=ide-scsi"

When your now insert this module in a running kernel with "modprobe ide-scsi", you are able to communicate with your CDRW via SCSI. You can verify the loading of the module by looking into /proc/scsi/scsi - this file should contain a line with your CDRW.
Via SCSI, cdrdao / cdrecord should not make any problems.