108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Max telnet sessions Redhat AS2.1

Matthias Bayer
Advisor

Hi Geoff,

maybe you limit resources in /etc/xinet.conf
(instances = numer of active services for a particular service).

bye
Matthias
Geoff Dunk_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that Matthias, but my xinet.d limits are set to unlimited. I can't help but think the problem maybe in some other area, maybe something to do with the amount of connections/threads to the box and telenet just happens to be the process we are using most off.
Karsten Breivik_1
Frequent Advisor

This could be a little far fetched, but starting a new telnet session can sometimes take a long time, sometimes ~30 sec to get a login prompt. This is often caused by the server wanting to do a reverse DNS lookup to find out who is connecting. I found this tip online:

If you are running DNS, check named and resolv.conf to find out how IP adresses are resolved.

If you aren't running a DNS which can do a reverse name-lookup to the clients, you can fix this just by listing all the machines in /etc/hosts. Note that you don't have to be accurate about the names: I often use the ip adress with "_" substituted for the "."'s, like "host_192_168_2_3" and so on. A simple script:

#!/bin/ksh
x=1
while [ $x -lt 255 ]
do
echo "192.168.0.$x host_$x"
x=$((x + 1 ))
done >> /etc/hosts

Change the script to fit your subnets. This will append the /etc/hosts file and make reverse resolving fast on a network on which the DNS is unable to reverse lookup the clients.

poi