1753954 Members
7669 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Remote Printer IP change

Van Fortier
Occasional Contributor

Remote Printer IP change

Can I change the IP address for a remote printer? I'm running 10.20 and the remote is on a jet direct. Changing the jet direct is no problem. Am I going to have to remove the printer and re add.
5 REPLIES 5
Ross Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Remote Printer IP change

If you are using a JetDirect interface, you can try the following to see if it will work -- otherwise, remove and re-add.

Modify the file /etc/lp/interface/printer_name using vi editor:

Look for PERIPH= xxxxxxxxx this will be either the printer name or the ip address.
Change the value to the same type of value ??? in other words, don???t change a printer_name and make it an ip address or vice versa.

This will preserve any special options or modifications to the interface script.

Use the ???How to Use the JetDirect Software??? document KBRC00003969.

Hope this helps.

Ross Martin
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Actually it's even simpler that that (if you were a good boy and used the printer's hostname) rather than that bad ole ip address. If you used hostnomes then simply modify your /etc/hosts, DNS, or NIS entry as appropriate and you are done.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I agree with Clay. If however you are using IP address, then do this:

# lpadmin -xPRINTER_NAME
# lpadmin -pPRINTER_NAME -v/dev/null -mrmodel -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel -ormPRINTER_SERVER_NAME_OR_IP_ADDRESS -orpREMOTE_PRINTER_NAME
# accept PRINTER_NAME
# enable PRINTER_NAME

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

I agree with Clay if you are using the IP then change this to hostname and in future be able to do as clay suggests .

cheers
John.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It is unfortunate that a remote printer and a network printer are so easily confused. lpadmin can only deal with printers attached to remote computers (such as a Linux or NT server), while a network printer is one that is managed by JetDirect software.

JetDirect cards have the ability to function using port 9100 (HP proprietary just for JetDirect) and port 515 (lpr/lpd standard for remote printers). However, using a remote printer definition for JetDirect disables all the lp -o options, so it is not recommended.

If the printer was added as a network printer, it may have been added using an IP address rather than a hostname and thus the need for either editing the interface script, or using removequeue and addqueue (the easy way). Since these commands are so simple, I would always use them to manage JetDirect printers:

removequeue -q printer_queue_name

addqueue -h new_IP_address -q printer_queue_name

Bill Hassell, sysadmin