New Discussion юеВ

prm configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
M. Tariq Ayub
Regular Advisor

prm configuration

Hi,

i am getting the following message when try to enable prm.

Configuration File (/etc/prmconf) Error:
PRM configuration cannot contain entitlement for "PRM_SYS"/PRMID 0 with memory records. Delete entitlement definitions for "PRM_SYS". (PRM-2023)
PRM is not configured.

Here is my /etc/prmconf
pos / #cat /etc/prmconf
#
# Group/CPU records
#
BSCS:4:40::
MEDPROD:3:30::
OTHERS:1:10::
PRM_SYS:0:20::
#
# Memory records
#!PRM_MEM:OTHERS:10::::
#!PRM_MEM:BSCS:40::::
#!PRM_MEM:MEDPROD:30::::
#!PRM_MEM:PRM_SYS:20::::
#
#
# Application records
#
#
# Disk bandwidth records
#
#
# User records
#
adm::::OTHERS
admin::::PRM_SYS
admin1::::PRM_SYS
billprn::::OTHERS
bin::::OTHERS
bscsadm::::BSCS
daemon::::OTHERS
faisal::::OTHERS
flora::::OTHERS
hpdb::::OTHERS
khashru::::OTHERS
lp::::OTHERS
medprod::::MEDPROD
msc01::::OTHERS
nobody::::OTHERS
nsv::::OTHERS
nuucp::::OTHERS
opc_op::::OTHERS
oracle::::BSCS
root::::PRM_SYS
shahin::::OTHERS
smbnull::::OTHERS
sys::::OTHERS
test::::OTHERS
test01::::OTHERS
test02::::OTHERS
tftp::::OTHERS
ups::::OTHERS
utpal::::OTHERS
uucp::::OTHERS
webadmin::::OTHERS
www::::OTHERS
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: prm configuration

As the error message says, if you have PRM_SYS defined in hte PRM group section, you CANNOT have Memory Entitlements.
Just remove the PRM_SYS:0:20:: entry.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
M. Tariq Ayub
Regular Advisor

Hi,

If i remove PRM_SYS:0:20:: then will root get any resource because all the resources are distributed betwwn other group.
M. Tariq Ayub
Regular Advisor

Hi,

After removing PRM_SYS i am finging the following configuration

PRM CPU scheduler state: Enabled

PRM Group PRMID CPU Entitlement
-------------------------------------------------------
BSCS 4 50.00%
MEDPROD 3 37.50%
OTHERS 1 12.50%

PRM memory manager state: Enabled (polling interval: 10 seconds)
PRM memory manager logging state: Disabled

Memory Upper
PRM Group PRMID Entitlement Bound Suppress
------------------------------------------------------------------
BSCS 4 50.00% ALL
MEDPROD 3 37.50% ALL
OTHERS 1 12.50% ALL

It shows 100% cpu and memory is discributed between 3 groups and PRM_SYS does not have any resource for it.
Jean-Louis Phelix
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The shares you see DON'T include resources given to PRM_SYS group which is always sur to get enough resources (at least 20% of available).

Regards.
It works for me (┬й Bill McNAMARA ...)
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

PRM_SYS gets it share by DEFAULT. You do not have to specifically state p PRM_SYS, as it gets a resource percentage anyway.
In fact, it can request up to 50% of all available resources, and if you think about it, htis makes sense as hte system processes MUST have enough resources to run.

From the manual http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B8733-90009/B8733-90009.html

Reserved PRM groups

When defining your PRM groups, keep in mind that there are two groups reserved by PRM. The reserved PRM group IDs (PRMIDs) are 0 and 1. The group designated by PRMID 0 is the PRM_SYS group, or system group. This group is created automatically and serves as the PRM group for system processes. When a PRM configuration is loaded, existing root logins stay in the PRM_SYS group--unless they have a user record assigning them to other groups. Similarly, new root logins are placed in PRM_SYS, unless a user record indicates otherwise.

By default, PRM gives PRM_SYS 100 CPU shares. If you assign 100 shares to the PRM groups you create, PRM_SYS gets 50% (100/200) of the CPU. The PRM_SYS group must get at least 20% of the CPU. Thus, if you assign more than 400 shares to your groups, the total shares assigned is greater than 500, and the PRM_SYS group's 100 shares do not represent at least 20%. In this case, PRM scales the shares for your groups proportionately so they are less than or equal to 400 shares.

You can explicitly add the PRM_SYS (PRMID 0) group to a configuration file. However, if you explicitly add the PRM_SYS group to a configuration file, it gets the CPU shares you assign it, which must equate to at least 20%.

You can also assign disk bandwidth shares to an explicitly defined PRM_SYS group.

You cannot however, assign memory shares to an explicitly defined PRM_SYS group. Consequently, you also cannot specify memory shares for any other group in a configuration where the PRM_SYS group is explicitly defined due to the required one-to-one correspondence between group/CPU records and memory records. The PRM_SYS group is allowed to use as much memory as it needs.

If you do not explicitly add PRM_SYS to your configuration, it is created automatically and appears in the output of prmmonitor -s and ps -P in parentheses: (PRM_SYS).

By default, all processes run by root (user ID of 0) are placed in the PRM_SYS group--unless the processes have application records or are moved manually.

Do not consider the PRM_SYS group or its default shares when determining resource shares. The shares you assign in a PRM configuration file divide what remains after PRM_SYS is granted its resources. Typically, PRM_SYS resource use is minimal.

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!