HPE OneView
1748036 Members
4575 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How does OneView\Virtual Connects respond to a complete power outage?

SOLVED
Go to solution
sysadmin4151
Advisor

How does OneView\Virtual Connects respond to a complete power outage?

Say I have only one site with a VMware environment across two blade enclosures. We need to power down everything for a weekend.

When power is restored will I be able to power on the blade servers and have network connectivity, etc. without OneView being accessible? Are all of the server profiles, etc still stored on the Virtual Connects? Or will OneView need to be able to communicate with the enclosure before anything can be powered on?

Edit: And the enclosures would be in a managed state.

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

The HPE OneView appliance is not necessary for the infrastructure to power back on.  However, if you want to be alerted/notified of issues/events or to make changes, the appliance must be powered back on, and in an operational state.  During the appliance bootup, it will scan the infrastructure it manages and monitors.  If it comes across resources that have potential issues, they will be flagged for the administrator to remediate.

What version of HPE OneView are you using?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Chris_L1
Advisor

We recently powered down our backup DC for major electrical repairs.  We have a mix of managed and monitored servers at this location - including several managed C-7000 enclosures.  The OneView instance (ver. 3.10.07) was also powered down for this location.  We brought everything back up with no issues.  The VCs retain the settings for control over the chassis and blades (OV was still powered down during this time) and the chassis came back with no issues..  The individual servers also were fine.  We did have to refresh a couple of monitored DL servers in OV but that was the extent of any issues experienced.  

sysadmin4151
Advisor

Thanks for the responses, that gives some confidence. 

Currently on version  3.10.04-0299553