New Discussion

Help with IMC ..?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MohammadH
Regular Advisor

Help with IMC ..?

Hi

I want to now how backup all switch's configure  I try go to switch and select backup configure but always fails how can I use TFTP and where the  configure file save ?

and

in all the 4800G switch  when the interface go up it give me next Alarm :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The interface of switch in the spanning tree turns into forwarding state. Possible causes include: 1. The interface with SST enabled goes up. 2. The spanning tree calculated again and the interface turns state from discarding to forwarding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

how I stop it ?

thank you

19 REPLIES 19
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: Help with IMC ..?

What sort of error messages are you seeing when you try and backup a device? There's a few things to check. First, if you're determined to use TFTP (although far better options exist), then make sure that the file transfer mode is set to TFTP. Service -> Configuration Center -> Options -> File Transfer Mode. Can set the default, and can have per-device exceptions.

Next, if you want to use TFTP, you will need to use Telnet for device access. On the device page, ensure Login Type is set to Telnet. If you use SSH for device access, IMC assumes you prefer secure transfer methods, and will only use SCP/SFTP/CLI. After all, why would you use one secure method, and one hopelessly insecure one for the same device?

Make sure the Telnet credentials are set correctly for this device. Double-check it.

Ensure that the device is able to TFTP to the IMC server. Test it yourself, by logging in and running "copy running-config tftp://<IMC_IP>/<device>_config.txt. You may need to check firewalls, including the host firewall.

Now run a backup again. See if it works, and if it doesn't take note of the error messages you get. You will need to click on the Details icon to see some more info. Some of those messages can be a little generic.

If you can't work out why it's failing, try looking at <install_dir>\server\conf\log\imccfgbakdm*.txt. The logs can be quite verbose, but if you follow it through, you can usually get an idea where it's failing.

Backed up configurations are stored in <install_dir>\server\data\cfgbak\. Much better to access them via the main web interface though.

Lastly, for the STP alarms, your switch is sending snmp traps when a port is moving to forwarding. Two options here: Either fix the underlying problem, or suppress the alarm. Look at the port that you're getting that alarm for. Why is that port changing state? If it's a user access port, then you should set it to portfast. If it's an inter-switch port, then  you need to investigate why your spanning tree topology is changing. Do you have a flapping link? If you can't/won't fix the underlying problem, you can suppress the alarm. In Alarm Browse, find the alarm, and click on it. Then go to "Filter the Alarm", and you'll get options for filtering it.

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

Hi

thank you for replay

I now now what is the problem I fix it there was another TFTP server install I remove it and it work fine for 4800G but it fail when I try backup the HP 2910al-48G switch it give me this error :

---------------------------------

Index Description Result Suggestion Begin Time Finish Time 1 Initialize task parameters. Succeeded.   2013-02-04 08:13:26 2013-02-04 08:13:27 2 Back up device startup configuration file to iMC Server. SNMP Set operation failed. 1. Check that the iCC supports the device in Hardware and Software Compatibility Matrix.
2. Check that the SNMP parameters are correct. With SNMPv3 adopted, the username, authentication password, privacy password and privacy mode for the device and the iMC should be the same.
3. Check the MIB style (Execute the display mib-style command. If the MIB style is displayed as new, but it displays that the node sending the Set request is 2011 after packet capturing, synchronize the device. Check the MIB style again. If the MIB style is still inconsistent, execute the mib-style [ new | compatible ] command, and then restart the device.).
4. Error code such as no such name may occur for the Set operation. You need to capture packets to analyze whether such error occurs in the response received by the device.
5. Device busy, please retry later. 2013-02-04 08:13:28 2013-02-04 08:14:06 3 Initialize redo task parameters. Succeeded.   2013-02-04 08:14:06 2013-02-04 08:14:07 4 Back up device startup configuration file to iMC Server by script. Failed to telnet the device. 1.Please check the Telnet user name and password are correct.
2.Please check the Telnet software exists in iMC server.
3.VTY is out of limit of device, please try later. 2013-02-04 08:14:08 2013-02-04 08:14:14

---------------------------------

you can see the Attachments if it not clear

I'm sure about the user name and password but it failed what I do ?

and

about STP it is a user access port how to make it to portfast can you tell in detail ?

and thank you again

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Are you using SNMP read-write? Go into <imc_install_dir>\server\conf\log, and find the latest imccfgbakdm*.txt file. Read through that, for entries around the time you were trying a backup. If you can't figure it out, paste the entries here, and we'll take a look.

Also, login to the IMC server, and try telneting to the switch, just to make sure all access is in place and working correctly.

For the STP issue, it's probably called an "edge" port, rather than portfast. Portfast is a Cisco term, but Edge port is more correct for RSTP. I think this is the command you want:

int Gig1/0/1

stp edged-port enable

NOTE: This should ONLY be used for ports that are connected to PCs and servers. Do not configure that on ports connected to other switches. You should also implement other STP security features such as BPDUguard. Talk to your network admin.

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

Hi

the imccfgbakdm*.txt file is in the Attachments can you take a look

and

the telnet is work from the IMC server ,

for the STP issue , about the port in the switch's is already configure stp edged-port enable for for PC's  but the same Problem what I do ?

and thank you again

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

This looks like the problematic lines:

2013-02-04 08:14:10.344 [INFO (0)] [THREAD(2580)] [CTclExecutor::exec_impl()] Begin to exec: spawn telnet 192.168.0.17
2013-02-04 08:14:10.361 [ERROR (1)] [THREAD(2580)] [CTclExecutor::exec_impl()] Failed to exec cmd: spawn telnet 192.168.0.17, error message: The system cannot find the file specified. 

Look in <imc_install_dir>\server\bin, and see if there's a copy of telnet.exe. I have seen IMC end up with a missing copy of telnet if Telnet Client was not enabled as a feature on the server at install time. If you have since enabled the Telnet client on the server, try copying it over the to IMC bin directory.

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

Hi

there was No copy of telnet.exe in the <imc_install_dir>\server\bin directory, I enabled Telnet Client in the server ant try again but it failed again, where i can get the copy of Telnet client ?

and

for the STP issue , about the port in the switch's is already configure stp edged-port enable for for PC's  but the same Problem it give me Warning what I do?

and thank you again

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

If you enabled it, it will be somewhere under the Windows directory. Use 'where' to find out where Windows puts it, or use the Windows search functions that you would normally use to locate a file in Windows. 

Find it and copy it to the IMC bin directory.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

For the STP alarm, can you post all the content of the alarm? I want to see where it's coming from.

Also browse through SNMP traps, and post the whole content here.

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

Hi

i want to say For the STP alarm not one port but all the port's connect to PC , by content you mean this ?

----------------------------

The interface of switch in the spanning tree turns into forwarding state. Possible causes include:

1. The interface with STP enabled goes up.

2. The spanning tree calculated again and the interface turns state from discarding to forwarding.

----------------------------

and

about the telnet i enabled in the server and copy it to the IMC bin directory but still not working for switch 2910G and i restart the server but still not working, what i do ?

and thank you