Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748229 Members
3861 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

SIM 7.3 - XML files stuck in the traps folder.

SOLVED
Go to solution
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

SIM 7.3 - XML files stuck in the traps folder.

Hello All.

I migrated our Sim 6.3 CMS to a new HP 7.2 CMS. However, the CPU was always at 50 % or above.

I browsed the file mxdomainmgr.0.log at found several messages like this one :

19 Apr 12:36:57,981 WARN  [StandardFileSystemManager] Could not notify listener of change to "file:/D:/program%20Files/HP/Systems Insight Manager/traps/<ip_address>-2013-04-19-12-35-48-188.xml".

org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 5 of document file:/D:/Program%20Files/HP/Systems%20Insight%20Manager/traps/<ip_address>-2013-04-19-12-35-48-188.xml: The reference to entity "PD" must end with the ';' delimiter. Nested exception: The reference to entity "PD" must end with the ';' delimiter.

The folder D:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\Traps was containing 2500+ XML files.

I stopped the HP sim service, renamed the traps folder to traps.old and created a new one, then restarted the sevice.

The CPU is now normal.

My understanding of the Traps folder is that each time the CMS receives a trap, it stores it in that folder in a XML file and deletes it when treated. This explain why I see files appearing then disappearing.

My question : why is there some files that the CMS seems unabledd to handle ? These files are not deleted and seems to cause a high CPU usage when they are too many.

Thank you for your replies.

Regards.

12 REPLIES 12
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: SIM 7.3 - XML files stuck in the traps folder.

Hi,

The fix is on the way. Instead of renaming you can even delete the xml file which got stuck.

This happens when there are lots of traps at the same instance of time (millisec.)

XML represents a trap and is named in millisec. This doesn't cause High CPU utilization instead will occupy some

space on the drive. As you rightly pointed after reading the file its deleted.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

RickEveleigh
Occasional Visitor

I am also experiencing this type of error using v7.2 on Server 2012, also the system I was trying to migrate from, upgraded to v7.2 on Server 2003.

It looks like this is causing SIM to drop the connection to SQL (remote, also SQL 2012 SP1) which is very irritating.

The messages in the (massive!!) mxdomainmgr log are such as 'The markup in the document [an XML file in the traps folder] following the root element must be well-formed'.

Clearing the xml files is not a valid workaround as they will immediately start to fill up again. 

Will the 'fix' sort this issue? When will the fix be available?

Regards

Rick

Pootch
Frequent Advisor

We had 120k of those xml files.

For us, it was a host which had sent incorrect snmp traps to the HP SIM.

We manage about 500 Hosts and got 1k xml files kept in the traps folder.

Normally they should be deleted automatically.

edit: hp sim 7.3 is out? ;)

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

@ pooch: The xml files get deleted automatiically. Only which have some issue are getting stuck.

In case of trap burst this issue is observed when there are 2 many traps at the same instance

of time. Once the trap is read from the direc. it is shown in the "ALL Events" and file is deleted.

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

I dnt think dropping of SQL Connection is related to trap error in mxdomainmgr.log.

The file gets automatically deleted after it is being read.

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

Pootch
Frequent Advisor

Only which have some issue are getting stuck.

What can cause the xml files stuck at the traps folder?

OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello.

According to Tushar, a trap burst can cause this. Seems confirmed on our CMS as the stuck XML files are generated by only a few (3-4) servers.

Perhaps SIM is not able to handle all of them quicly enough and some are missed.

I also observed that many (not to say all) orphaned XML files have a malformed (to SIM point of view ?) data, and in my case a character SIM considers as faulty in the trap fields. May be an other cause of the issue.

A scheduled a daily CMD script that deletes all the XML files older than two days, until HP provides a fix or a new version.

I just hope I don't miss a severe event.

Regards.

Pootch
Frequent Advisor

forfiles -p E:\HP\System~1\traps -s -m *.xml /d -2 /c "cmd /c del @file"
exit

"E" --> parition drive letter

"-2" --> deletes all xml files older than 2 days

Qartman
Occasional Visitor

We had almost 2 million files in that directory... yikes!