1748283 Members
3843 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ignite server and make_net_recovery

Mandosa
Regular Advisor

ignite server and make_net_recovery

I have 3 hpux servers, but only one of them has a local tape unit. I've created the system restore tape using make_tape_recovery with the one that does have the tape backup unit. From what i've read on this group, you can't perform a make_tape_recovery on a remote system, and thats where make_net_recovery comes in. But it looks like you need an Ignite server to make use of this?
that about right?
thx
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: ignite server and make_net_recovery

Mark,

Yes, that sums it up quite well.

Pete

Pete
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

That is correct - setup the server with the tape drive as an Ignite Server.

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90893/ch02s02.html

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

Let me mention that this will take a boatload of storage. In specific 2-XXX GB per server, and what you ignite beyond vg00.

Plan ahead. /var/opt/ignite is a lovely mount point for a boatload of disk...

I have ~30 servers I ignite on Every Monday Morning. With 2 images it uses up 256 GB.

Tim Sanko
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can create a Network Recovery Archive using make_net_recovery on an Ignite-Server
or a NFS server. Then move the archive to the server which has tape drive and IG-UX installed.

In your case , you can make your server ( one which has tape drive) as NFS server
and others as NFS client ( one doesn't have tape drive ) if space is not a constrain.
Create net revovery archive on NFS server. Then you can create a bootable recovery tape with that arcive.
Mandosa
Regular Advisor

thanks for the assistance.