New Discussion юеВ

Re: make recovery failed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brent Hardesty
Advisor

make recovery failed

I just ran make_recovery -v -A -d /dev/rmt/0m and received the following error:

make_recovery(390): Call to /opt/ignite/bin/save_config failed.

The makrec.log1 reads:
save_config: error - unknown disk type for /dev/vg00/lvol3, not SCSI or HPFL.

Can someone please help me resolved this issue? Currently, there is nothing mounted to this logical volume.

Thanks
Brent
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

/dev/vg00/lvol3 should be either / or /stand. Either way, it should be mounted. If you do a bdf does vg00/lvol3 show up? What does it show if you do an 'lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol3'? What type of disk(s) is your boot disk?
Johan Carlsson
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Brent,

Just saw your question, I agree to what Patrick is saying and just want to add something to that. There is a document in the Knowledge tree here in the ITRC called 1100290244. This addresses this problem, it could depend on other things but might be worth a look. Another document is A5263022.

From document 1100290244:
Perform the following steps to resolve the error:

1. Execute the save_config command:

/opt/ignite/bin/save_config
see man page, you might need to use -f to specify filename if other than default is used.
Note: This command gives more detailed error information:

save_config: error - unknown disk type for /dev/vg00/lvol3, not SCSI or HPFL

save_config: error - cannot determine primary swap size

You see the same error for lvol4.

2. Execute the bdf command to identify the lvol3 and lvol4 mount points.

Note: Root ( / ) is normally mounted at /dev/vg00/lvol3, and /opt is mounted at /dev/vg00/lvol4.

Perform the following steps if / and /opt are not properly mounted:

- mv /etc/mnttab /etc/mnttab.old
- mount -a

3. Execute the bdf command.

Note: bdf should now show the lvols mounted as /etc/fstab has them, and the make_recovery should work as expected.

Hope that this is of help to you.

Best Regards

Johan Carlsson
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

One other thing to consider (not part of your original question) is your choice of using a no-rewind device.
Check the man page for make_recovery.
If you do not use a no-rewind device (dev/rmt/0mn), trying to recover from this tape WILL fail.

Good Luck!
Brent Hardesty
Advisor

Patrick:
bdf does not show vg00/lv0l3, I looked at my /etc/fstab and / should be mounted to vg00/lvol3. / is currently mounted to /dev/root/ (what does this mean exactly). Thanks for the help.

Johan:
Thanks for the note. You are correct, that is my problem / is not mounted correctly. I will do the mv and then the mount -a.

Brent

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I have never found out what exactly causes / to be mounted as /dev/root. This URL gives as much information about this problem as I've seen anywhere, which is not much. http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=39d41da21c4b245465/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000049506990

The basis fix is what is given in this document and in a previous response to your question.