1753848 Members
8537 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remove a switch from a stack if the hardware failed

jprovine
Advisor

Remove a switch from a stack if the hardware failed

I have set of aruba 3810m switches in a stacked configuration one of them had a hardware failure and died before I could remove it from the configuration and now it show this

xxxxxx-axxxxx Aruba JL074A 3810M-48G-PoE+-1-slot ... 250 Missing

I have a replacement but I am not sure what the best way to get rid of the missing one from the configuration, add the new one and add it as commander.

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Generally replacing a faulty (stack) member which appear as "Missing" will require a first explicit remove with stacking member x remove Command (where x is the stack member id of the missing member) then you can provision a defaulted new member with the command stacking member x type SKU mac-address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (where x is the stack member id cited above, SKU is the J074A of the new Switch and XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is the MAC Address of the new Switch you're inserting).

References, as example, here (page 28/41 "Replacing a faulty member") and here (page 7/14 "Replacing a stack member").

I don't understand your last sentence "...and add it as commander.": is the stack splitted? generally you can remove a member if it is not going to split the stack...so I suppose your stack is not splitted nor it is going to be splitted and a Commander is already elected...IMHO the new Switch should join the stack as a Member.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
jprovine
Advisor

The switch that failed was originally the commander and the standby became the commander when it failed. I would like the replacement switch to be the commanger again and I am not sure of the best way to do that or if I should do that. We try to place the commander first in the stack followed by the stand by.  

Also I can do the explicit remove with out the failed switch I assume since it no longer works. Here is my plan

config t
stack member 1 remove

config t
stacking member 1 type Jxxx mac-address xxxxx-xxxxx
stacking member 1 priority 255

Connect the stacking cables to the replacement switch to forma  ring configuration, plug in the power and it should become member 1 with a priority of 255

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Planning a suitable downtime I first would let the new working switch to join the stack as a Member and only then force a Master (re)election changing the memebr's priority.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
jprovine
Advisor

I plan to make the change during an outage period. So once it joins as a member in the stack, do I leave it that way any amount of time or can I go ahead and change the priority to 255? When i change the priority will everything reboot automatically or do I need to do reboots? If I need to reboot do I need to do it in some order?