New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating Old Storage to New and also Extend the partition Size

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.M.Athar
Advisor

Migrating Old Storage to New and also Extend the partition Size

Hello All,

My customer needs to migrate data without affording the downtime from old to new Storage. Currently they have EVA 4400 and the new box is EVA 8100. So What I will do, for e.g. they have a partition /oradb and the size 200GB. Now I present a 200GB Vdisk from the new storage and mirror it with running 200GB disk. After the completion of mirroring I will reduce the lvm with lvreduce command and target disk will be old disk which is from EVA 4400. The commands will be following.

1)Infs тАУe
2)Ioscan тАУfnC disk
3)Pvcreate and vgextend (include the new luns into the volume group)
4)lvextend -m 1 /dev/vgdb/lvol1 "
5)I will check the mirroring progress "6)I will do тАЬlvreduce -m 0 /dev/vgdb/lvol тАЬto remove old disks.
7)vgreduce old disk

Okay FineтАжHope this works. Now my question is I want to extend the 200GB Disk which is from EVA 8100. Because after completing the migration process we unpresent the Vdisk from EVA4400. We have two HBA in our system. In migration process One HBA Cable EVA4400 switch and the second one will be on EVA8100.
Please Guide me.

Also please notify me if any thing wrong in the above commands.
Thanks & Regards
Athar Hussain
5 REPLIES 5
Henry Fauni
Valued Contributor

1. If you have available ports on the existing switches for both the controllers of the new EVA8100 (I assume this is on a SAN), you should connect it so that both the HBA's will see both the controllers of the the EVA8100. Since you mentioned your customer cannot afford downtime, it's better not to disconnect any HBA's during migration process.

2. You should do an ioscan -fnC disk first before doing the insf -e.

3. After migration, to extend the VG, simply create additional lun(s) on the new EVA8100, do your pvcreate and extend the VG to new device file(s), and then extend the logical volume with lvextend -l or -L.
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Dear Athar,

Your commands for migrating to EVA8100 are correct.

to check mirror completion, you can also do pvdisplay on the new-disk and check the PV status ( stale means , its still in the mirroring, stale will go off after mirroring.)

now to extend your vg ( does this mean you want more space in this vg)
if you are using 11.31 you can use vgmodify
or
why not present another vdisk-lun to this eva to increase the space.
then pvcreate
vgextend
lvextend
fsadm
etc..

Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Dear Athar,

if you are using 11.31
here is the doc for vgmodify

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01920387/c01920387.pdf (BSC link updated by admin)
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi the clearer apparoch shall be as already suggested, create New LUNS, assign that to the server and vgextend,lvextend and extendfs.
regards
sujit
S.M.Athar
Advisor

Hello All,
Thankyou for reponse.