2542 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unmirror rootdg

SOLVED
Go to solution

Unmirror rootdg

Hi team,

I need to upgrade VVM from 3.5 to 4.1 running in HPUX 11.23. I already have encapsulated rootdg, with no other disk groups created.

What do you think if I do:

1) vxunroot
2)Install VVM 4.1
3)Encapsulate once again ex-rootdg

Do you think it could work fine?

Thanks again for your help.

Lissete
5 REPLIES 5
Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Lissete,

Hope this link might give some more info related to vxunroot.

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Unencapsulating_a_root_disk.html

I have a small query by the way. I havent tried encapsulating the root disk in HPUX box, because I remember once reading "Veritas volume manger 3.5 admin PDF for HPUX", where in glossary it was pointed out that, encapsulation was not valid for HPUX.

By the way we have a better method of converting from LVM root to VXVM root. The procedure is called "VXVM rootability" which is more elegant. Might be you wanna try after you upgrade to 4.1

Following is the link for rootability...

http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-1369/ch02s07.html

Regards,
Senthil.
Let your effort be such, the very words to define it, by a layman - would sound like a "POETRY" ;)

Hi,

There is no vxunroot command on HPUX , what do you think if I leave rootdg with VxVM3.5 encapsulated and upgrade to VVM 4.1, so the new Disk groups will be managed for the new version.

Any ideas ?

Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Lissete,

I'm not too sure what might happen as per your latest strategy, because I havent tried.

But I can provide you a better eligent solution.

Pre-requisite:

You need to have a spare internal disk in your system. The size should be more than or equal to present root disk.

let us assume c4t0d0 as the spare disk and c3t0d0 as your present root disk.

1) convert your encapsulated disk into lvm root disk.

/etc/vx/bin/vxres_lvmroot -v c4t0d0

if this step succeeds for encapsulation then you are through. you can proceed with step 2, otherwise let me know I have another method that could be used.

2) use set boot command and set the H/W path of c4t0d0 as alternate boot path.

3) Reboot the machine with the alternate boot path.

4) After your reboot you will find that your new root disk c4t0d0 is a part of LVM and can now safely destroy your c3t0d0 which was ur earlier root disk in rootdg.To destroy the rootdg do the following.

vxconfigd -k -r reset -d
touch /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db

Then, overwrite the beginnings of the disks:

dd if=/dev/zero count=8000 of=/dev/dsk/c3t0d0

5) you can go ahead and upgrade to 4.1 version.

6) after the upgradation follow the rootabilty link in my previous response for converting the LVM root to vxvm root disk.

NOTE: My response is purely based on the tests conducted in my test lab. You could have a better method, might be u need to refer to veritas volume manger upgradation guide. I will try finding one meanwhile.

Regards,
Senthil Kumar .A
Let your effort be such, the very words to define it, by a layman - would sound like a "POETRY" ;)
Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Lissete,

Just following up. Was ur upgrade successful ?

Regards,
Senthil Kumar .A

Hi team,

I just updated veritas 3.5 to 4.1 following the Installation guide from Veritas.
Some guys from Symantec told me that is sure to leave rootdg managed by 3.5 and the rest of the new diskgroups created with the latest version of veritas volume manager 4.1
Doing it like that everything was OK, all the EVA 8000 controllers were recognized by the volume manager OK, and I was able to create the new disk groups and volumes sucessfully because vv 4.1 can manage EVA 8000 disks rather than vv 3.5.

Thanks a lot for your help :)