108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: COBOL editor for VMS with colors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Notilus
Occasional Contributor

COBOL editor for VMS with colors

Can somebody help me find a colorful COBOL editor for Open VMS, or tell me if I can alter an existing LSE Editor that I use , so it will show the text with colors.
Thanks a lot
12 REPLIES 12
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I know nothing, but have you looked at Vim?
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, COBOL in colour, hard to get my head around that. COBOL is just so monochrome. Almost like seeing Charlie Chaplin in colour.

That said, Notepad++ running on a PC has a mechanism for specifying how to colour source code, and includes a COBOL module.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

I believe both NetBeans and Eclipse have COBOL plug-ins.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Depending on the VMS version and platform you can use Pathworks or CIFS/Samba and present a share to an alternate workstation allowing you to use your favorite editor.

If the editor support opening a file via ftp that may be a possible option.

I favor Epsilon as my editor of choice, http://www.lugaru.com. There are add in modes available for languages, including DCL which work well. COBOL isn't included, but it wouldn't be difficult to update an existing mode. The right incentive would even make the project fun.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Lucifer Megacruel
Valued Contributor

Hi Notilus,
See: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Cobol_editing_with_Vim . As suggested by steve vim does include syntax highlighting for COBOL.

An easy way (not the most efficient, but should suffice for most purposes) to write a syntax highlighting component for windows is by sub classing the rich edit control. You can also make use of existing components like GtkSourceView and Scintilla as well. Another C++ based library is colorer. See :http://colorer.sourceforge.net/sshots/index.html

--Lucifer
"To Denouce the Evils of Truth and Love. To cause may hem and destruction and necromancy , Lucifer is here"
tsgdavid
Frequent Advisor

I had a related question in another thread for C language (see http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/Language-Sensitive-Editor-or-C-language-filter-recommendations/m-p/5275275#M12810)

I learned that notepad++, which is free open source, has a plugin that will use FTP to transfer files to/from a remote system.

Unfortunately, notepad++ generates an access violation after connecting to OpenVMS due to an unexpected syntax for directories. Since the source code is freely available, it would be conceivable to modify the code to support OpenVMS. I am playing with it, but I may not have the skills to succeed in this. The plugin is written in C++. I will post a note if this somehow happens.

Having said that, one could certainly use any tool that one wants, external to the editor to FTP files.

Dave

Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

You can install hgftp on the vms server, using an alternate ip port. Hgftp can supply the listings in a format that other applications may understand.

Jur.
tsgdavid
Frequent Advisor

Jur >>You can install hgftp on the vms server, using an alternate ip port. Hgftp can supply the listings in a format that other applications may understand<<

HGFTP looks pretty interesting, but I gather that this server is only for VMS systems that do not have an FTP server or who would choose to use this instead of the one that they have?

Dave
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] but I gather [...]

Re-gather the part about "using an alternate
ip port".