2613 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wireless mobility and iPads?

ndoudna
Frequent Advisor

>in L2 roaming there shouldn't be any issue as far as I know with WPA/WPA2

So is there any reason not to enable OKC in all VSCs, for every client that can support it?

tx,

noemi

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Ok, it's been several weeks now and everything actually seems to be going very well. I have had no issues roaming between my locations (subnets) in my network with my iPad. I don't know if the HP engineer that I had on the phone rectified something with some possible channel conflicts on the APs, but I have not addressed either of the two issues he pointed out to me that I would have to address over the summer, and roaming with my iPads has been fine. I am knocking the heck out of some wood right now typing this, but I seem to be living large right now. 

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Dang it, I knew I spoke too soon. It's actually working too well now. My students have learned that they can use their network login account to setup wireless on their various phones (Android and iPhone) and have quickly used up all of my addresses in my DHCP scope.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to stop them from getting on my "Secure" network? We have school owned wireless devices that students need access to that they need their account to login with, so how do I stop them from doing the same on their personal devices?

JesseR
Regular Advisor

I've used 802.1X with EAP/TLS authentication on HP wireless before, and with that, not only do you need a valid account, but you also need a certificate installed on the wireless devices handed down from your CA Authority. 

Or, you can use 802.1X with PEAP and still require that the cilent device TRUSTS the server certificate on the RADIUS server (and of this is generated from a local CA authority, it won't be trusted on the client by default, as its not on the trusted roots list)

Or, just switch to PSK?

JR

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

Serverman
Occasional Visitor

Would any of these help or did you solve it another way?

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Sorry for not replying sooner, been tied up with several projects; but as it turned out, it was not the HP wireless the students were associating with... it was an old 3COM access point (open access) that somehow got plugged in on a mobile cart that's no longer used. We quickly turned that puppy off and took it for safe keeping. No more problems since.

gglater
Regular Advisor

When you say "this matter" to what are you referring?

There are well documented issues with wifi and the IPad2 and "new IPad"/IPad3.  If you google you will see many, many articles and KB articles both from the press and on Apple's site about how to resolve some of these issues.

What are you asking for a white paper to outline?

Thanks.

--glen

tschaps
Valued Contributor

gglater wrote: What are you asking for a white paper to outline?

I think it would be helpful for HP to recommend best practices for iPad networks or iPad VSC's, as there are a myriad of MSM settings which are very difficult to determine what applies to mobile/handheld devices. It's one thing in a school with a laptop program, where the laptops are shutdown or put in standby when transported between classes, but iPads remain associated the entire day, no matter where they go, even in power save mode. The results are great, instant on, instant networking, and message/email notifications even in power save, but these devices are also all on the move at the same time between periods. Some guidance in configuring the network for the simplest roaming with the lowest drain on resources, something that is not easy to plan and test in the field, would be helpful. 

Our experience and the MSM system performance during our pilot program has not been great. In the fall I'll have 10 times as many iPads, and I am not looking forward to it.