108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2040 -- restart storage itself??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

MSA 2040 -- restart storage itself??

I know it's possible to restart the management controllers without affecting anything going on with storage itself.

What about restarting the storage controllers one at a time??

Am I required to stop or shut down all the VMs on the storage??

Reason I ask is we had a power outage a couple weeks ago during which the generator did not properly supply power to the SAN and it shut down and restarted....I only today got the management controllers touched and restarted, now I would like to restart the storage controllers if I can do so without causing undue hassles for people. 

I know how to restart the storage controllers one at a time via the web interface.

Thank you, Tom

3 REPLIES 3
Cali
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 2040 -- restart storage itself??

Yes, you can restart the Management at any time, this have no relation to the Storage Part.

> restart mc A/B or in the GUI

You can also restart the Storage Controller one by one, if you have a redundant configuration.

> restart sc A/B or in GUI

Restart SC also restart MC.

Check in the vCenter Hosts, if you have an active Path to both Controllers.

Wait for the second until everything is up again.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Solution

There is no problem to restart Controller one at a time provided your volumes are presented through both Controller host ports so that high availability will be maintained.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Yes, there's two sets of ports/cables for each storage controller plus one port/cable per management controller.

Thank you for answering so quickly!! I'll do this later today when things are a little less busy.

Thank you, Tom