Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Messaging
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Netscape for document viewing only..

Akihiro Noma
Contributor

Configuring Netscape for document viewing only..

I am a new UNIX adminstrator and I need some help in installing Netscape 4.7.4 on HP-UX 10.20.

I need to use Netscape only for viewing on-line documentation for SAS but not for accessing Internet. I was told that putting Netscape on the UNIX box can be a security concern..

How can I configure Netscape so that it will not access Internet? Or is there a viewer that read all the HTML document?

thanks for your help..

Aki
Greetings from Beautiful Oregon!
2 REPLIES
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring Netscape for document viewing only..

You can play a trick to prevent your less-knowledgable users from accessing the internet with netscape.

Go to Edit, Preferences... Click on the + on Advanced, Proxy, select Manual Proxy, and click View - in the for the "Address of Proxy to use", enter localhost for each of the services listed.

This above will tell netscape that when a user enters http://www.thisdomain.com it tries to contact through the localhost (but that is not running a proxy so the request will fail!)

to access the documents, you would have to use the file:// syntax.

Good luck
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring Netscape for document viewing only..

Kofi is absolutely correct, but this may be un-necessary. I'll assume that your box's which need nescape have direct routes to the internet?
if so, a user will probably be able to remove the proxy settings and use the network directly anyway. There is a way to make a master copy of "liprefs.js" which does sets up the proxy settings. It will be in $HOME/.netscape. Make the master copy as Kofi mentioned. Then copy it to the users directory with Read Access for the user, but root ownership. If the environment changes frequently, then make a wrapper which does this for you!
Also alias netscape or in your wrapper to open the doc's you need. This is easy because any argument given to netscape without a switch is treated as a url. I.E.
if the master page for the docs are in "/usr/local/doc/index.html" then
csh
$ alias netscape 'netscape /usr/local/doc/index.html'
ksh
> alias netscape='netscape /usr/local/doc/index.html'
This will give your users direct access to the docs, and no ability to hit the internet.

Best regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?